Egg Bound or Internal Layer?

Has she made any progress, by chance? šŸ¤ž If youā€™re looking for supplements, NutriDrench is good for very weak birds or birds needing a boost. You can add electrolyte and vitamin powders like Save-a-Chick for a few days in a row if dehydration is a worry. Another idea is to offer remedies and supplemental food as free choices ā€” for example, standard feed in one container, a head of lettuce hanging from above, grit scattered, plain yogurt, cooked egg yolks in another container, vitamin water as well as plain water.

Iā€™ve been trying to read all I can and look for solutions for my hen. Oviduct malfunction and/or egg peritonitis seem possible. So far, the implant seems to be the best bet for that. Iā€™m going to call for pricing on Monday and will update here in case you or anyone reading this is interested. At home options might include limiting her exposure to light and/or feeding a low-calcium diet to reduce chance of producing more egg shells. It makes me sad that most reproductive issues are incurable. Luckily my girl is still moving around and eating. I love her and want her to be happy and comfortable for as long as possible!

Could Kiwi have ascites (ā€œwater bellyā€)? If so, I found this video and this other video to be helpful. We tried draining our hen but got only a little bit of blood and stopped. The vet also tried draining her without success. We were as clean as possible to avoid introducing infection. It wasnā€™t the right solution for us, but from the comments on the videos it looks like itā€™s been helpful for a lot of chickens.

Iā€™ll be keeping your sweet Kiwi in my thoughts. You are giving her so much love and doing your best with the resources you have. No matter what happens, she is a blessed little bird who has brought joy during her time here. šŸ’•
Thank you. I have some good news to share about Kiwi. A few days ago, I decided to give her some oregano and thyme, along with VetRx. Since then, I have moved her into a separate pen. She has a container with basic feed, (I also gave her some corn, but she already ate that up!) a waterer filled with plain water, an extra container full of water I mixed with Save-a-Chick electrolytes, a dish of olive oil, and a bowl of the same herbs I used before, oregano and thyme. I've been surprised to find that Kiwi is actually beginning to act more like herself. She went from barely walking and appearing to be dying, to moving around, eating a lot, and making noises. She has also been pooping, and her poop appears to be healthy looking. I still occasionally see her standing more upright, which does concern me sometimes, but I think she's doing better. I haven't gotten any eggs from her in a while, though. Thanks for posting the videos and updating about your hen, who I really hope gets better soon. Yes, it's possible that Kiwi has water belly, since her stomach area did feel squishy before. I'll be sure to keep updating on her!

Sadly, Kiwi passed away yesterday. For a little while her health seemed to be improving, but things took a turn for the worse, and she died. Before her death I noticed a bleeding lump below her vent, possibly a tumor. I'm still not totally sure what caused her illness, but some signs point towards a reproductive disorder. I'll miss her forever, she was a great girl.šŸ˜ž

Sadly, Kiwi passed away yesterday. For a little while her health seemed to be improving, but things took a turn for the worse, and she died. Before her death I noticed a bleeding lump below her vent, possibly a tumor. I'm still not totally sure what caused her illness, but some signs point towards a reproductive disorder. I'll miss her forever, she was a great girl.šŸ˜ž
I'm so sorry to hear this. šŸ’” It seemed like she was bouncing back for a minute there. My mind also jumps to tumor when I read about the bleeding lump below her vent. If that's the case, you couldn't have done anything to stop it from progressing, except perhaps very expensive surgery which would have been risky to try on such a sick hen. You clearly gave Kiwi a beautiful life full of love and attention. She died knowing she was cared for and important, a beautiful gift for any feathered friend. Thinking of you.

I'm so sorry to hear this. šŸ’” It seemed like she was bouncing back for a minute there. My mind also jumps to tumor when I read about the bleeding lump below her vent. If that's the case, you couldn't have done anything to stop it from progressing, except perhaps very expensive surgery which would have been risky to try on such a sick hen. You clearly gave Kiwi a beautiful life full of love and attention. She died knowing she was cared for and important, a beautiful gift for any feathered friend. Thinking of you.
Thank you, you're very kind. I helped bury her yesterday. At least she isn't suffering anymore. How is your hen doing? Is she getting any better?

Iā€™m so sorry; I know how heartbreaking that is.

I decided to take my Thanos in for the desloren hormonal implant; it was $175 plus a $90 exam fee (more info here). Itā€™s a lot of money that not everyone can afford, but I share the price in case anyone reading this is in a position to consider it as a treatment option. Time will tell, but Thanos handled the procedure well and is now acting normally and keeping up with her other hen friends. Itā€™s a little early to expect the swelling from her internal laying to go down, but I hope that will happen soon.

Your posts as well as othersā€™ helped me find answers for my Thanos. In a way, by writing about our chickens ā€” even when things donā€™t work out as hoped ā€” we help other chickens have better lives. I take comfort in that. It makes me happy to know other people care about their birds as much as you cared for Kiwi. šŸ’›

Edited: Added link, clarity

Last edited:
Iā€™m so sorry; I know how heartbreaking that is.

I decided to take my Thanos in for the desloren hormonal implant; it was $175 plus a $90 exam fee (more info here). Itā€™s a lot of money that not everyone can afford, but I share the price in case anyone reading this is in a position to consider it as a treatment option. Time will tell, but Thanos handled the procedure well and is now acting normally and keeping up with her other hen friends. Itā€™s a little early to expect the swelling from her internal laying to go down, but I hope that will happen soon.

Your posts as well as othersā€™ helped me find answers for my Thanos. In a way, by writing about our chickens ā€” even when things donā€™t work out as hoped ā€” we help other chickens have better lives. I take comfort in that. It makes me happy to know other people care about their birds as much as you cared for Kiwi. šŸ’›

Edited: Added link, clarity
Thanks, you are also doing a great job in helping your Thanos. I hope she gets better soon.

Back
Top Bottom