egg bound or just 'off' laying?

Bulgarianchucks

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 26, 2013
High in the Bulgarian mountains
Some advice please.
I have two 3 year old hens (possibly older they were rescues ). For 18 months
they laid every day, then for the past 6 months or so, they were laying every other day, I introduced 2 young chicks, and all hell broke loose. The older ones were not impressed, and still aren't, but they continued to lay. A couple of weeks ago I bought a product called Ropa poultry - an alternative to worming. I have only had 1 egg and 1 soft shell since, so as it isn't rocket science, I stopped giving them the Ropa two days ago, still no eggs, They go into the nesting boxes and sit and fiddle for about an hour, then get out.
I'm just concerned that there is an underlying problem. There are no signs of swelling or yolk on their back ends. Its still very warm during the day here, and a bit cold at night, but they have a small comfy barn.
Do I just have to be more patient? I'd really appreciate any advice that you have.

chickens
D.gif

Maybe it is just the time of year? I am no expert on the subject however. I have 3 layers in my flock and all three seem to be done till spring. 2 are older and my young girl is in molt now. I do not light them in the winter, so I guess they are done till spring. I have very lazy chickens!

Back
Top Bottom