Egg bound or molting

lori_smith99

Songster
Aug 16, 2022
North East Florida
I have researched and read the threads and past questions and I can't seem to figure out what is wrong with my Polish. 4.5 months old. Has been great. Started making egg laying noises when 2 of my other girls started laying (first eggs in a mixed flock of 18 all between 15-28 wks). We had 2 Silkie Roos that I saw mount her maybe twice and she didn't like it at all.
Yesterday she didn't come off the roost in the morning when we opened it and then when she did she kinda feel off of but landed right and waddled away. I noticed she was pretty swoled up so I brought her in and put her in a laying bucket in a dark quiet room. She mostly slept. Made sure she drank (had Gatorade on hand it was late) and she slept all night. This morning she is moving around more but still sleeping standing and not as puffy except her rump. It feels hard. Her tail feathers are also very sparce and looking like they are about to fall out.
She has never laid. Eatsstarter feed (mash with herbs and ACV and garlic) layer pellets and scratch as a scatter treat. I have raised her since she was 2 wks old, came from a local hatchery that 95% of my flock came from.
Can't think of any other helpful info. Oh she keeps baring down and pushing and did manage to get a huge poop out with lots of water with it.
Any advise? Thank you in advance

Pictures

Attachments

• 20230108_110633.jpg
    20230108_110633.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • 20230108_110630.jpg
    20230108_110630.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
  • 20230108_110612.jpg
    20230108_110612.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
Hopefully she is just having trouble starting to lay. Give her a calcium supplement (calcium citrate or tums) and let her soak in a warm bath for 15-20 minutes.

Unfortunately there is also the possibility that she has a disease like Mareks or lymphoid leukosis which can cause tumors in the abdomen.

Polish. 4.5 months old.

We had 2 Silkie Roos that I saw mount her maybe twice and she didn't like it at all.
Yesterday she didn't come off the roost in the morning when we opened it and then when she did she kinda feel off of but landed right and waddled away. I noticed she was pretty swoled up

This morning she is moving around more but still sleeping standing and not as puffy except her rump. It feels hard. Her tail feathers are also very sparce and looking like they are about to fall out.
Can you get clearer photos of her tail feathers and the bare spot?
Likely the feathers have been pulled out from the 2 "Roos" - how old are these Roos?

Is she able to see? Does she need a trim around the eyes?

Being a crested bird and if the Roos have been rough with her, she may be in need of some vitamin therapy.
I'd focus on her eating well. Get 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex into her daily along with a little egg to help with the uptake of E.
Look her over for lice/mites and make sure her crop is emptying.

Photos of her poop from overnight would be good too.

At 4.5months, I wouldn't expect her to be coming into lay, but you can check her pelvic points, this will give you a better idea of where she's at on that. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Back
Top Bottom