Egg bound or something else?

Chold05

Songster
May 24, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA
My Coop
My Coop
Hi!
We have a 1 year old Cinnamon Queen (Willow) who has been laying for months now, no problem. She is almost done with her first mini molt.

Last week I was doing coop spring cleaning so we let everyone out while I cleaned and it wasnt long until I noticed Willow wanted in the nest box. She was very agitated, attacking other hens for no reason, and had that "crazy eye." She was super vocal, lots of pacing, and was also squatting, walking, and squatting again. I know the last is a symptom of possible egg binding, so I was concerned and kept an eye on her. She did end up laying that day.

Today she had similar behavior. We let them out to free range and shortly after she came back to the coop- fast pacing, jumping up on their jungle gym, jumping down, into the nest box, out of the nest box, more pacing and lots of noise. This went on for about 1.5 hours or so. She did eventually lay- so I know she's not egg bound, but I'm wondering if she might be struggling to pass the egg all of a sudden?

They have access to 18% protein feed, oyster shells, also feed them their shells back, and grit.
I'm wondering if it has something to do with her mini molt?

Any suggestions are appreciated!

From your description of your hen's behavior, it appears she couldn't be any healthier.

An eggbound hen is quietly and resignedly hugging a nest but without anything to show for it. Your hen is vocal and enthusiastic and producing eggs from her efforts. This is very normal behavior. Nothing is wrong with your hen.

From your description of your hen's behavior, it appears she couldn't be any healthier.

An eggbound hen is quietly and resignedly hugging a nest but without anything to show for it. Your hen is vocal and enthusiastic and producing eggs from her efforts. This is very normal behavior. Nothing is wrong with your hen.
Thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom