Egg Bound, or Something Else?

Juise

Songster
8 Years
Mar 4, 2011
I have a hen in that I believe is probably egg bound, although I couldn't feel anything in her vent. I didn't go too far back, because she squawked and struggled like it hurt a lot. I am not sure about feeling around her abdomen, it just all feels hard to me.

Lubed up her vent, though, tried some gentle massaging in the area, she seems to be straining.

Soaked her in a warm bath for 30 minutes or so, she is now sitting in a toweled tray in the bathroom. Ran the shower a bit to get it warm and steamy.

Found her standing like a penguin when I brought out fresh feed and water an hour and a half ago, she did dig into the food with everyone else.

Crushed up some tums to try to give her, but she won't bite. I read that you can powder them and mix them with baby food and administer them with a syringe, but... how the heck do you do that? Do you have to pry their beak open? Is not turning them upside down the only important thing here? That's something you shouldn't do... right? I would like to try to give her some electrolyte water with a syringe as well.

Any other thoughts / advice? Thanks

Last edited:
Oh yes, and she had a lot of poop stuck all over there, I actually soaked her for a while, then cleaned her up and changed the water before letting her soak longer. No idea if that is important information.

If she is a little older, she possible could be an internal layer or be suffering from egg yolk peritonitis. Oviduct cancer is also very common. Some will have fluid that can accumulate in the abdomen with a condition called ascites. Antibiotics such as Baytril, enrofloxacin, or Procaine Penicillin G injections may help temporarily, and fluid can be withdrawn occasionally if ascites is present. Here are some links to read:
http://scoopfromthecoop.nutrenaworld.com/tag/laying-issues/
http://www.chickenvet.co.uk/health-and-common-diseases/egg-laying-issues/index.aspx
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/639749/timeline-of-internal-laying-update

Cas - I wish I could, but I have no vehicle, and no money even if I could leave. :C

Last edited:
Cas - I wish I could, but I have no vehicle, and no money even if I could leave. :C

I understand, mine is in my a box in my living room right now. No way I can afford to take her to a vet. What does her belly feel like? Has she lost weigh?

-Kathy

Probably not a good idea to give more baths, she looks way too sick for that. You can quarter the tums and give them orally, but you should probably only do that if you can feel an egg.

-Kathy

Thanks, Eggcessive, I will read those over. She will be 4 in March.

• Cas - Thanks for understanding, it makes me feel horrible
    hmm.png
    I wish I could just bring her in and get her taken care of. Her belly just feels hard to me. I don't think she's lost any weight, I hadn't noticed anything abnormal at all until just a couple hours ago.

Some cancers can be felt by sticking your finger in the vent. Grab a younger hen and feel inside of her, then compare they way she feels to you sick girl. Inside should feel smooth, and the only firm organ you should be able to feel is the gizzard, that's on their left, pretty close to their left leg. Keeping her in a warm room is a good idea, 80-85 degrees is ideal for most sick birds.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom