Egg Bound / Prolapse

Natben

Hatching
Jul 16, 2021
My hen was acting classically eggbound (puffed up, tail down). She is only about 24 weeks and laid her first egg a couple days ago. I soaked her in epsom salts and warm water, and the egg popped out, but covered by membrane. I could not find an opening in the membrane at all. The egg is hard and fully formed. I gently pushed it back in. When I tried to soak her again, it came out again, so I did the same thing. She is resting now in a dog crate inside. Has eaten a few bites of yogurt with Tums and olive oil. Should there be an opening I am looking for? When I feel it inside her, it is behind the left wall of her vent.

There is not another opening; sounds like the egg is too large to pass. I would give her a crushed up calcium tablet immediately and keep soaking her until the egg comes out. I’m going to summon someone with more experience with this.
@Eggcessive

There is not another opening; sounds like the egg is too large to pass. I would give her a crushed up calcium tablet immediately and keep soaking her until the egg comes out. I’m going to summon someone with more experience with this.
@Eggcessive
Not sure how the egg is going to come out if it is in a membrane outside her body. The egg is small - normal smallness for a new layer. When I soak her, the egg comes out but is covered by that membrane. Looks a lot like this (I didn't get my own picture yet):

Untitled.png

This is a prolapsed cloaca with egg binding, and hard to manage. Try to look for a small slit or opening that you could manipulate the egg through. A vet who knows chickens would be helpful. A dose of human calcium with vitamin D3 would be helpful. Here is a video where someone gets the egg out:

This is a prolapsed cloaca with egg binding, and hard to manage. Try to look for a small slit or opening that you could manipulate the egg through. A vet who knows chickens would be helpful. A dose of human calcium with vitamin D3 would be helpful. Here is a video where someone gets the egg out:

I did already see that video, but couldn't find an opening. I can try again - how dangerous would it be to wait until tomorrow? I will try to get her to eat more tums and add d3 to that (dosage? - the d3 we take is very high dose - 10,000 iu)

Most human calcium tablets have D3. If you use your D3, try to chip a small piece of it close to 1000mg or less. If it is a soft gel, puncture it and place a drop or so in a little egg. I would not try to wait until tomorrow. This is an emergency. The prolapse tissue needs to stay moist with honey or a little vegetable oil. Some have made a cut into the tissue to get the egg out, but that can be risky for infection or bleeding.

Most human calcium tablets have D3. If you use your D3, try to chip a small piece of it close to 1000mg or less. If it is a soft gel, puncture it and place a drop or so in a little egg. I would not try to wait until tomorrow. This is an emergency. The prolapse tissue needs to stay moist with honey or a little vegetable oil. Some have made a cut into the tissue to get the egg out, but that can be risky for infection or bleeding.
So far it is staying inside her since I pushed it back in. Any chance that it can resolve itself. I am perfectly willing to work on this tonight, but if it is staying inside, I assume it will not dry out.

Most human calcium tablets have D3. If you use your D3, try to chip a small piece of it close to 1000mg or less. If it is a soft gel, puncture it and place a drop or so in a little egg. I would not try to wait until tomorrow. This is an emergency. The prolapse tissue needs to stay moist with honey or a little vegetable oil. Some have made a cut into the tissue to get the egg out, but that can be risky for infection or bleeding
I just watched the follow up video, and she ended up having to put the chicken down a week later, because the same thing happened again.... :(

Back
Top Bottom