Egg bound quail! Help ASAP

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Attack Chicken, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Woke up this morning before work and found my tux hen laying on her side not wanting to move. I picked her up and she didn't try to get away which is odd for her. I didn't have time to look her over much so I put her by herself.

I came home and checked her over. I'm pretty sure she's egg bound. She can still move her legs and her wings. She just sits there breathing hard. Also the tissue around her vent seems darker. I can feel the egg in her so I put a little veggie oil carefully in her vent. About to do the warm water soaking soon.

Please let me know if theres anything else I can do for my girl! [​IMG]

2. bryleighs_gmal

bryleighs_gmal Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2010
    TN.
    all you can do is help with the water good luck

3. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    Warm water and massaging the abdomen are about all you can do... sometimes they make it, sometimes they don't.

Good luck, thinking about your little bird! [​IMG]

4. Attack Chicken

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Well the egg is out. Nothing big or anything just a usual size and somewhat softshelled. The main problem now is she cant walk or doesn't want to. Almost as if she paralized but she can move her wings and feet if she wants. She's never been this...how to say it.. cuddly? before.

I don't know whats going on with her [​IMG] Always the favorites and my only tux

5. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Dehydrated Likely... Thats A Usual Suspect For Causing Egg Bound As Well. Boost Her With Some Vitamin And Electrolytes In Her Water Font And Allow Her To Rest In Seclusion For A Day Or So And See If She Doesnt Perk Up

6. Attack Chicken

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Quote:Got it in the water. If nothing else I do have injectable electrolytes/vits I can give her. I just don't know how much. I know a 2lb chicken is 27.5ccs of the stuff.

7. FeatheredObsessions

FeatheredObsessions Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    How did it work out?

8. Attack Chicken

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    It's not looking to good [​IMG] She still isn't up walking. She pooped/layed something today that was like poop but had yellowish like yolk in it. She doesn't or cant walk at all.

9. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    Quote:This could mean an egg burst inside of her... not good, not good at all...

10. Attack Chicken

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    She's still the same to today. Is alert any everything but just cant walk [​IMG] [​IMG] not sure what to do...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by