Egg Bound Quail HELP!

Tanira2

In the Brooder
Feb 24, 2016
Further to my earlier thread about the quail laying down, speaking to the vet and reading some other threads, it would seem she's egg bound :(

What do I do?

I spoke to the vet who said I should keep her in a humid room in the dark overnight and see if she is any better in the morning (or I could take her in today but he'd suggest starting with that).

What do people normally do? They aren't handled that much although they know me and aren't really scared so I don't want to kill her by scaring her but at the same time want to help her as much as I can.

I've read about putting her in warm water, if so how warm and for how long? :(

I've only ever had one specific quail be egg bound, though she did it routinely. Generally, I could tell she was egg bound because she would sit alone and fluff all her feathers as if she were cold and look upwards. The best thing to use is lube. It'll help reduce the pain and make it easier for them. Sometimes just handling her would help and she'd lay an egg in my hands. Warm water for 15-20 minutes also helped at times.

So she had a soft egg. The centre has been sacked out of it but she still hasn't passed the actual egg.

She's very alert and seems well other than straining occasionally. She's in a separate pen which is in with the others so she can still see them and vice versa. :( hopefully there will be an egg soon enough.

Back
Top Bottom