egg bound question

Warrior1

In the Brooder
Sep 5, 2018
So, from what I can tell, one of my girls is eggbound. I watched all the youtube videos and read on this site as well. She started yesterday and I gave her the first soak at about 11:00 am and then again at 4:00 pm. Today; still no egg.. I did the mineral in the vent (didn't feel or see an egg) and soaked her again at about 11:00 am. She is eating and drinking and flicking the would chips I laid in the temporary separation pen. Any suggestions?

Welcome to BYC. What is she doing that you think that she is egg bound? How old is she, and has she been laying normal hard shell eggs up until now? Did you insert a finger up to 2 inches inside her vent to feel for an egg? Is she eating or drinking?

Welcome to BYC. What is she doing that you think that she is egg bound? How old is she, and has she been laying normal hard shell eggs up until now? Did you insert a finger up to 2 inches inside her vent to feel for an egg? Is she eating or drinking?
when I let the girls out to roam in the yard, she barely waddled around and wanted to squat down like she was trying to poop or something. her tail his pointed down. After viewing youtube videos of egg bound chickens, she fitted the profile. She is eating today and about 8 months old (Cuckoo Maran). This afternoon she was actually flicking the wood ships all over her like she was taking a sand bath.

Eggs have been normal and I may have put my finger in about an inch into the vent. I did inject some mineral oil as well

Could she be broody? Look at her chest and see if she has been pulling out her feathers there. They usually want to sit in a nest box, and will pull eggs under them that are sat in front of them. Can she walk much at all? The downward pointing tail and squatting do sound like egg binding. How long since she last laid an egg? Can you give her a human calcium tablet or Tums crushed into some chopped egg? If you don’t have any, put an egg with shell and all in a food processer or blender, and feed it to her.

Could she be broody? Look at her chest and see if she has been pulling out her feathers there. They usually want to sit in a nest box, and will pull eggs under them that are sat in front of them. Can she walk much at all? The downward pointing tail and squatting do sound like egg binding. How long since she last laid an egg? Can you give her a human calcium tablet or Tums crushed into some chopped egg? If you don’t have any, put an egg with shell and all in a food processer or blender, and feed it to her.
I bake and crush their egg shells and fed her some crushed shell with yogurt mixed in her feed and some cilantro. Do you mean mixing some Tums with scrambled eggs? Her last egg was day before yesterday.

I meant to give her extra calcium, either with a calcium tablet, Tums, or the crushed egg shell and egg. You can hide the Tums, or calcium in egg, but if you have the shells and egg, you can use those.

Back
Top Bottom