Egg Bound resources? How does an egg bound chicken stand?

Her abdomen is definitely swollen. I felt inside and did not feel/touch an egg. Could it be even further up the tract? Is there some other illness that causes similar symptoms? I'm at a loss now. I thought for sure there would be a solid egg right near the vent.
The abdomen is swollen - is it hard or tight like a fluid filled balloon?
Yes, there are other conditions that can look like egg binding - internal laying, ascites, peritonitis, etc.

With the respiratory distress - I would lean toward her having fluid in the abdomen if you don't feel an egg. Can you see if there are any yellowish fluid pockets underneath her?

It's kind of squishy. I'm going to leave her alone for a bit because she is not used to being handled or used to being in the house and I think it is stressing her out more. Are any of the other things you mentioned treatable in any way? I know some of them are pretty serious and not much can be done. I want to help her, but if she cannot be helped I'd rather end her suffering sooner rather than later. I will find some online reading while she rests.

It's kind of squishy. I'm going to leave her alone for a bit because she is not used to being handled or used to being in the house and I think it is stressing her out more. Are any of the other things you mentioned treatable in any way? I know some of them are pretty serious and not much can be done. I want to help her, but if she cannot be helped I'd rather end her suffering sooner rather than later. I will find some online reading while she rests.

Also when handling her she feels thin, so perhaps this is an issue that has been going on longer. Her breast bone is prominent.
She could be stressed from being handled. Put her in a quiet place that is semi-dark and see if the breathing gets better.
If she is able to poop that is good, but all the other symptoms are concerning. She may still have an egg, but it's just up high you never know. I would still keep trying to get her hydrated and 1 time extra calcium won't hurt if you can get that into her, but wait if you think that will stress her even more, let her settle.

Sadly, there is no treatment for any of the reproductive problems. IF there is fluid in the belly then sometimes that can be drained to give them relief. Antibiotics to help with inflammation and/infection can also help short term.

I would give her time and evaluate her as you go, but you are there to see what kind of shape she's in and whatever decision you make for her is the right one.

That's what I was afraid of. Fluid in the belly whether from reproductive issues or liver/organ failure is a symptom of a serious problem, one that can't be fixed. It sounds like the best case scenario is an egg that evtually passes. She can stay in the house for now, it wouldn't be the first time.

That's what I was afraid of. Fluid in the belly whether from reproductive issues or liver/organ failure is a symptom of a serious problem, one that can't be fixed. It sounds like the best case scenario is an egg that evtually passes. She can stay in the house for now, it wouldn't be the first time.

Also thank you for all your help. Wouldn't it be easier if our animals could talk to us and tell us exactly what's going on?
It sure would make it much easier!

Yes, the best case scenario is that she is having trouble passing an egg. Let's hope this is what it is:fl
The more serious problems...well, sometimes with some supportive care they can pull through for a while longer. I've had some with egg masses and cancer (found those upon examination after death), but I babied them along for a while. They ate/drank and participated with the flock, but I watched them closely and once they declined again, I put them down.
We each have our limit of what we will try/do. If mine will rally fairly quickly I see how it goes, if not then I won't let them linger.

I'm sorry that you are having to deal with this. I hope you report back that she is just fine in the morning:hugs

Yesterday she was much the same. I put her back with the flock for the day because she seemed to do better with them and would walk and eat and drink. This morning she was dead :hit. I'm wondering if perhaps she was my persistent thin shelled layer and there was something going on with her reproductive tract for some time. She wasn't even 2 years old.

Yesterday she was much the same. I put her back with the flock for the day because she seemed to do better with them and would walk and eat and drink. This morning she was dead :hit. I'm wondering if perhaps she was my persistent thin shelled layer and there was something going on with her reproductive tract for some time. She wasn't even 2 years old.
:hugs I'm so sorry :hugs

She may have been the one that was laying thin shelled eggs.
I know it's heartbreaking and some just can't bring themselves to do it, but if you still have the body, performing an informal investigation may shed some light onto what was going on with her. Look in the abdomen, at the internal organs, etc.

Back
Top Bottom