Egg bound symptoms but can't find an egg inside

brandonhorn84

Chirping
Feb 20, 2020
North Georgia Mountains
1) Australorpe, almost a year old, weight is unknown But seems normal weight similar look to the 4 others in our flock
2) What is the behavior, exactly? - She is lethargic, mostly laying down. Stood to get away from a rooster trying to do his thing. I put her on a roost in the run near dinner time, she was still there 2 hours later after dark and after all the others went in the coop. We brought her in the house. She ate a little of her feed and some of tomato scraps. Drank a tiny bit of water. Puckering her vent a little bit. Her tail feathers are downward most of the time.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? Since approximately 9am this morning. Its 9:30pm tonight. At 5:00pm we gave them dinner and she was laying down on the ground in the run. I put her on the roost about 5:05pm. Brought her inside about 7:30pm.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? - NO

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. - NO

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. - Nothing that I can tell happened physically to her.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Organic feed, a little oyster shell and grit is available to them. She has not been eating much but she did eat a little bit, maybe a handful.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. - No poop to be seen yet.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? - Brought her home, said nice things to her then I put a finger up her vent to feel for an egg, didn't feel one (granted this is the first time for this.) I couldn't just go right into it. I just felt like I needed to be more like a gentleman about it. :) I pushed my finger in about 2inches and didn't feel anything hard. (For the first time, that felt super weird, not going to lie).
Also gave her a warm epsom salt bath for 20min. Tried to give her water/molasses mix to drink. She didn't drink that.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? - Would rather not take her to a vet.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. - I don't have a photo.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use. -- IN the coop is hay about 6-12inches thick. The coop is vented with a solid floor under the hay. 8ftx8ft a-frame Coop with 16 hens in it. Run is dry and filled with hay and natural ground 24ftx16ft covered run space.
20210114_194656.jpg

She is lethargic, mostly laying down. Stood to get away from a rooster trying to do his thing. I put her on a roost in the run near dinner time, she was still there 2 hours later after dark and after all the others went in the coop. We brought her in the house. She ate a little of her feed and some of tomato scraps. Drank a tiny bit of water. Puckering her vent a little bit. Her tail feathers are downward most of the time.
Organic feed, a little oyster shell and grit is available to them
When she poops, try to get a photo of that.

I would work on getting her hydrated. See if her crop empties overnight.

You mention organic feed - is that pelleted or a loose type feed of individual ingredients?

When she poops, try to get a photo of that.

I would work on getting her hydrated. See if her crop empties overnight.

You mention organic feed - is that pelleted or a loose type feed of individual ingredients?
She pooped overnight. It was very wet. But not runny. White and green in color. It was not a normal solid to somewhat solid terd.

We have been trying to give her drink with a dropper and she is just not that interested in it.

Organic feed is New Country Organics loose type feed of individual ingredients.

Is her crop emptying overnight?

I would get some poultry vitamins into her to see if that helps. With loose type feed like that some birds only pick out what they like and don't eat the rest which can cause nutritional deficiencies.
I would check her over really well for any injuries as well.

Hopefully she will perk up with some supportive care.

Is her crop emptying overnight?

I would get some poultry vitamins into her to see if that helps. With loose type feed like that some birds only pick out what they like and don't eat the rest which can cause nutritional deficiencies.
I would check her over really well for any injuries as well.

Hopefully she will perk up with some supportive care.
I felt around on her crop and it seems empty today. We did check her all over for any injuries and can't seem to find anything.

Should I be pushing upward or straight in when I check for an egg in her vent?

Back
Top Bottom