Egg Bound - Two Eggs - Yellow Poo

jlynn1515

Chirping
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon, USA
Hi all!
Yesterday I had a Crested Cream Legbar go from perky and normal to down in the dumps. I removed her from the other hens, put her in our garage in a cage all to herself, gave her a heated pad, and covered most sides of the cage with a towel. I have a hunch she was egg bound. I was unable to give the epsom salt bath immediately. I went out about 2 hours later and found one egg, calcium deposit build up on the pointed end of the egg. She was acting a little brighter, but still no interest in water/food/scratching. I went inside and checked on her an hour later. A SECOND EGG. This egg was way different though. Very soft shell and open on one end. This time she was her normal bratty self and wanted OUT of the cage! She has been acting normal ever since - EXCEPT - she has pooped several times, two of which had a yellow tinge to them. I have a feeling it might be from the cracked corn she ate, but I am also wondering if any of you that have experienced egg bound issues or soft eggs have seen yellow poop afterward?
Any input, advice, or knowledge is much appreciated!
Jessie

Hi all!
Yesterday I had a Crested Cream Legbar go from perky and normal to down in the dumps. I removed her from the other hens, put her in our garage in a cage all to herself, gave her a heated pad, and covered most sides of the cage with a towel. I have a hunch she was egg bound. I was unable to give the epsom salt bath immediately. I went out about 2 hours later and found one egg, calcium deposit build up on the pointed end of the egg. She was acting a little brighter, but still no interest in water/food/scratching. I went inside and checked on her an hour later. A SECOND EGG. This egg was way different though. Very soft shell and open on one end. This time she was her normal bratty self and wanted OUT of the cage! She has been acting normal ever since - EXCEPT - she has pooped several times, two of which had a yellow tinge to them. I have a feeling it might be from the cracked corn she ate, but I am also wondering if any of you that have experienced egg bound issues or soft eggs have seen yellow poop afterward?
Any input, advice, or knowledge is much appreciated!
Jessie
The yellow poo sounds like cecal poo. It is completely normal:

1-2-12%2B%25288%2529%2Bfinish.png

You need to

1. Make sure that they are eating at least 90% of their diet as chicken feed
2. give them free choice oyster shell calcium
3. Make sure there are not parasites like mites or worms
4. give them vitamins with pro biotic a couple of times a week

The yellow poo sounds like cecal poo. It is completely normal:

You need to

1. Make sure that they are eating at least 90% of their diet as chicken feed
2. give them free choice oyster shell calcium
3. Make sure there are not parasites like mites or worms
4. give them vitamins with pro biotic a couple of times a week

I am doing all of the above, however the poo wasn't like in the photo... it was very yolk-yellow and firm like normal poo. She seems perky and bratty still - her totally normal self. Not sure what's up with that!

Sounds like she had egg in the poop. Some reproductive disorders like Egg Yolk Peritonitis can have yellow (eggy) looking poop.

I'm glad she perked up. Just keep an eye on her, if you see her lethargic or seeming to have trouble laying her eggs, offer her some poultry vitamins (direct dose 1cc per 3lbs Nutri-Drench), get her hydrated and offer some extra calcium. Soaking in epsom salts sometimes does help and start things moving.

It could be a one time thing or an early indication that something is starting to go wrong with the inner workings. I hate to say this, but time will tell. Even with vet care, unless you fork out the $$$ for a Suprelorin implant (to halt all egg laying), there's not much you can do, but make sure she is eating, drinking, pooping, active and getting some love.

Sounds like she had egg in the poop. Some reproductive disorders like Egg Yolk Peritonitis can have yellow (eggy) looking poop.

I'm glad she perked up. Just keep an eye on her, if you see her lethargic or seeming to have trouble laying her eggs, offer her some poultry vitamins (direct dose 1cc per 3lbs Nutri-Drench), get her hydrated and offer some extra calcium. Soaking in epsom salts sometimes does help and start things moving.

It could be a one time thing or an early indication that something is starting to go wrong with the inner workings. I hate to say this, but time will tell. Even with vet care, unless you fork out the $$$ for a Suprelorin implant (to halt all egg laying), there's not much you can do, but make sure she is eating, drinking, pooping, active and getting some love.
Thank you for the information. Unfortunately, we will be playing the wait and see game! Not my favorite, but it is the best choice at this point.

Back
Top Bottom