Egg bound vs. Egg yolk peritonitis?

terrishaver

Hatching
May 21, 2015
I have a second Isa Brown hen who has what I think is egg yolk peritonitis. One I doctored for a month with antibiotics and steroids and even drew fluid off her abdomen. She died the next night. I think I just waited too long to pull off the fluid. Now I have another one, 2 years old, who started with the poopy bottom about ten days ago. I bathed her and checked for an egg impaction and found none. Today, she is full of poop again and her abdomen is huge and hot. I gave her a cool bath and cleaned her bottom and again checked for an egg...nothing. Not sure how far to insert little finger? Abdomen is very round and firm, vent pulsing. She walks more like a penguin than a chicken. Still eating and moving around the yard, but obviously not herself. Not sure what to do here? I’m sure some would say cull her, but I hate to do that without trying something. Is this something that this breed is prone to? I’ve never had this before and now with these Isa Brown’s have had two in two months. Any suggestions?

I know it’s an old post but I have a hen with similar symptoms and not sure what to do, what did you do with your hen, and did she turn out okay ?

Back
Top Bottom