Egg Bound Warren?

Thanks for the advice. Sadly the poor old girl had to be put to sleep
sad.png

Took her to the only avian vet within 20 miles. Just a couple of minutes in there and the vet said she could feel the "egg" was actually one of three large tumors. It would cost £400 for exploratory surgery, the other option being to put her to sleep. The vet wouldn't hazard a guess at what the problem was, e.g. what caused the tumors.

I decided it had to be the end for poor old Megan. But when I said I'd take her home and do it myself, the vet launched into a long speech about humane treatment and how the EU had brought in a new law that will soon designate chickens as farm livestock, meaning you can't dispose of them on your own land! Anyone else heard about this? I have no idea how this could be policed. Will all chickens have to be registered with passports like cows are?

Anyway, I was in a bit of a state so I said fine. Said goodbye, signed the form and headed out to the reception. Turns out it cost £80!!! Feeling like a bit of a mug now for falling for the vet's sales pitch.

The most helpful people have been other chicken owners. I checked all my other birds for Mereks - nothing doing. I've been advised the other option could be avian leukosis. All the birds have been weighed and are at or above the right weight (when Megan was put to sleep she was well under but had been fluffing up her feathers to look bigger, the sneaky madam!) Are there any ways to check for avian leukosis? I'm a bit scared of the fact I've been eating their eggs quite happily and possibly ingesting a retrovirus!

Of course, it could have just been bad genetic luck for poor old Megan, but I'd rather be a bit paranoid than let something spread through the flock!
Your Vet is wrong to tell you that! DEFRA have no such authority nor policy over the disposal of deceased animals..dogs, chickens etc and they are THE authority to make that decision... I am so sorry for your loss,,so traumatic for you.

Hope if you ever need another Vet in the UK you can find one that is truthful and compassionate...

Back
Top Bottom