Egg bound, Worms, or???

chickenmudder

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 9, 2013
My sweet little Brahma hen has started acting out of sorts today. She was just standing in one spot and appeared to be straining to. . . well, we aren't quite sure. She is was not running in and out of the nesting box, just standing by the run door, straining. Some research led us to think possibly egg bound and we began with the warm bath and vent massaging with no results. More research suggested the possibility of worms. Right my brain is struggling with too much information. Perhaps someone more experienced could help? She is about one year old, and has never been wormed. Symptoms: Calmly standing with her back end up (not drooping or sagging in the penguin posture). Very little watery poop and not much evidence of that since she was separated from the rest of the flock. Is calm, but still seems to be straining with the vent opening and closing periodically (as opposed to constantly). Will eat a little from our hand, and has had some water, but not enthusiastic by any means. Abdomen seems hard compared to other hens, and she feels a bit on the lean side compared to our other brahma. Hopefully, this is enough information to get started with. Thanks so much for any thoughts!

If you think she could be egg bound, you can put on a rubber glove, lubricate a finger, and insert it an inch or two into the vent very gently to feel for an egg. Only if there is an egg, give her 1/2 a Tums or a 1/4 of a calcium tablet since she is a banty. Then repeat the warm bath--only if there is an egg.

If you think she could be egg bound, you can put on a rubber glove, lubricate a finger, and insert it an inch or two into the vent very gently to feel for an egg. Only if there is an egg, give her 1/2 a Tums or a 1/4 of a calcium tablet since she is a banty. Then repeat the warm bath--only if there is an egg.
Hi and welcome to BYC!
X2 about what "Eggcessive" said, and make sure you feel very carefully as you might injure her.

Thanks so much for the responses! There does indeed seem to be an egg there. My husband brought home a container of Avian Calcium but I have NO idea how to use it. I mixed a quarter teaspoon with a little water and a tiny bit of food and got most of it into her. She just had another bath and a little vent massage. The straining has begun in earnest. Any other recommendations?

Ok, there has been bathing, calcium, and Vaseline to the vent. She is definitely all fluffed up as though she were actually trying to lay that beast of an egg. We are being careful not to break the egg. Still nothing. It has been at least 24 hours. How many baths, how much calcium, how much gentle poking and prodding? Again, we are very thankful for your advice and help!

Last edited:
Much to our dismay, while trying to check again for an egg in the vent, our hen vomited a very smelly, clear, watery liquid . Feeling seriously inadequate right now. She still seems to be in distress. As for an egg. . . there was something small and hard, but felt more like a knuckle. It was more to the side than straight up, so could be her hip even? Dang! I have no idea what to think now.

Much to our dismay, while trying to check again for an egg in the vent, our hen vomited a very smelly, clear, watery liquid . Feeling seriously inadequate right now. She still seems to be in distress. As for an egg. . . there was something small and hard, but felt more like a knuckle. It was more to the side than straight up, so could be her hip even? Dang! I have no idea what to think now.

Check her for sour crop,do a search on BYC for different treatment options.

I have felt those knuckle things before and when I have done a necropsy they have been cancer tumors. Grab a healthy hen and examine her, that will give you a good idea of what she should feel like.

LL

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom