egg bound would a speculum work?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AHappychick, May 29, 2011.

1. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    A friend has an egg bound hen. She can feel the egg but it is about 4 inched deep and with baths, massage and everything else tried she can not get it to move further down.

I figure since it has been many days that we need to break the egg and remove it.

I was thinking would a very small (they make small ones) speculum work (you know those evil things at the OBGYN)
    I thought if used very gently we would be able to see what we were doing and get at the egg easier.

Has anyone tried this?

2. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    anyone?

3. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    Never heard about it before but I will keep watch on this thread.

4. Zonoma

Zonoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Northern Kentucky
    Quote:I'm too new to answer your question but it created another question for me: I thought that breaking the egg was a bad thing? That it led to infection and a slow, septic death? I'm watching to hear what the experts have to say! I hope she pulls through.

5. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    I dont want to break the egg and yes it can cause problems but it has got to come out or she will certainly die. we are at the no choice stage I think. She has until tomorrow as that is when the owner returns from vacation and will mark over a week of being bound.

I feel if I use the speculum I have a better chance of removing it all.

6. Kikiriki

Kikiriki Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    Central Florida
    I do not know anything about this, but is it possible to give her a good dose of oil in there to help it slide? I think I'd try that before something mechanical that could scratch her inside.

Trying to think of a polite way to say this: if she is in pain, she may be constricting so you could try gently working around inside to encourage stretching of the muscles if you use the oil, too. Let us know how she does...

7. Zonoma

Zonoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Northern Kentucky
    Quote:The "no choice stage" is an awful place to be! I hope everything works out. [​IMG] Let us know.

8. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:Given the circumstances, I'd try it. Someone to hold the bird and work slowly and carefully. It may be a waste of time if she's prone to being eggbound, but I think it's still worth the effort.
    Please let me know how it turns out. Best of luck to all involved!

9. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Hope she makes it! [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    She is a 3 year old hen and never had this problem she is also much loved by a family with 4 young ones so all effort must be made (not that I would not try everything first) oil has been tried and she can move egg a little but it wont budge. Baths, dark places, manipulation, all with out sucess it is just too far up in her track to get to. I would like to try rubber ended tongs to grip the egg and try to gently pull loose before breaking but still would like to use speculum so i can see and am not just grabbing blindly. I am pretty sure we have tried everything at least a few times I think it is crunch time. I just thought maybe there was someone out there who had tried this or maybe there is a similar chicken/fowl device similar.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by