Egg Bound?

Kayley3069

Chirping
Apr 28, 2017
IMG_0763.JPG
IMG_0762.JPG
IMG_0761.JPG
IMG_0760.JPG
None of my hens have yet to lay, I figured towards the middle of Aug beginning of September they would l. Today one of my favorite hens Cleo is acting strange and I'm honestly not sure what to do.

Attachments

• IMG_0764.JPG
    IMG_0764.JPG
    888.8 KB · Views: 3
I would start tylan50 about 1ml twice a day for a few days------for her asap. She is Sick----probably not egg bound. I would separate her from the others to give her peace, quietness and just incase. Sure you could get her to the Vet----but I do not suggest that because I do not do that personally-----I can not see spending $100's on a sick chicken unless I had a lot start dying then I would get a necropsy done to save the rest----but thats the owners call. Good Luck

Poor Cleo! It's hard to tell what's wrong with chickens sometimes. As a new chickener, I can sympathize. You came to a good place for help. I second the advice above that she should be quarantined just in case it's something contagious. Beyond that, I know nothing, but I want to help keep your post on top by posting something.

Poor Cleo! It's hard to tell what's wrong with chickens sometimes. As a new chickener, I can sympathize. You came to a good place for help. I second the advice above that she should be quarantined just in case it's something contagious. Beyond that, I know nothing, but I want to help keep your post on top by posting something.

Yes, I also don't believe she is egg bound either it is more like a loss of control in her neck, like a limp noodle. I'm not sure what it could be, so I took her inside. She can stand and walk but her neck and head are twisted down. Instead of laying she just stands with her head to the floor. I've been syringe feeding and watering her. Also, haves her a tum and polyvisol earlier today. Now from past threads on here I'm also going to try Vitamin E, Selenium, B Complex liquid, and instead of Prednisone, am using Tuneric Curcumin.

Attachments

• IMG_0777.JPG
    IMG_0777.JPG
    374 KB · Views: 3
I hope she gets better soon. It kind of looks like pictures I've seen of wry-neck, and from what I can tell by what you're adding to her treatment, that seems to be the best course. I'm glad you got answers, because I've seen questions posted about sick chickens go nearly ignored at times.

I hope she gets better soon. It kind of looks like pictures I've seen of wry-neck, and from what I can tell by what you're adding to her treatment, that seems to be the best course. I'm glad you got answers, because I've seen questions posted about sick chickens go nearly ignored at times.

I'm thinking wry neck as well or perhaps botulism. I'll keep this post updated of outcome and if truly do figure out her alignment.

How is she?
What does her poop look like?

Wry neck is a neurological symptom of head injury/trauma, vitamin deficiency and certain disease like Marek's, Newcastle and Avian Lymphoid Leukosis.

Do the best you can by providing the vitamins to see if she improves. Keep her well hydrated. If she does pass, you may want to send her for necropsy to confirm the cause of death.

http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq

How is she?
What does her poop look like?

Wry neck is a neurological symptom of head injury/trauma, vitamin deficiency and certain disease like Marek's, Newcastle and Avian Lymphoid Leukosis.

Do the best you can by providing the vitamins to see if she improves. Keep her well hydrated. If she does pass, you may want to send her for necropsy to confirm the cause of death.

http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq

She ate scrambled eggs last night and drank decently still has thr bright eyes and doesn't act distressed. However, she doesn't try to walk anymore just stand and her neck just curls and hangs, been thinking about making something for her neck like bubble wrap or a toilet paper roll to hold it up.

She can stand up?

You may want to make a sling for her - then you could roll up a towel to prop her neck up.

You also mentioned Botulism? Do you think she may have eaten something like a dead animal, maggots or rotten food/compost?
upload_2017-8-6_9-51-23.png

upload_2017-8-6_9-51-37.png

sling+1.png

She can stand up?

You may want to make a sling for her - then you could roll up a towel to prop her neck up.

You also mentioned Botulism? Do you think she may have eaten something like a dead animal, maggots or rotten food/compost?
View attachment 1103136
View attachment 1103137

sling+1.png
I have no idea they free range all day and I let them in at night. We have about 10 acres, but I did a walk to their usually spots and didn't see anything noticeable. We do give them fruit and veggies on occasion as their treats and corn on the cob, but it is usually fresh from the fridge and not ones we are going to throw out. They actually haven't had any fruit for awhile but corn a few days ago. We also live on a small peach orchard, but do not spray the trees. So, I'm really not sure what is going on.

Back
Top Bottom