egg bound?

kittykat

Hatching
12 Years
Jul 22, 2007
I have a hen, about 1.5 years old, until now she has been quite fiesty and strong. I noticed a change in her behavior yesterday. She is very quiet, doesn't move around alot and looks like she feels horrible. This seemed to come on almost overnight I noticed also she when she went to the hen house to lay her egg she never did. She has not layed today either and is not eating, just sleeping or finding a corner to stand in. I don't know what to do for her....I don't have a clue as to where to start to diagnose this. Could she be egg bound and would that cause weakness, lack of apetite? I have 2 other hens and noticed that there have been a couple of eggs layed without shells, but have not been able to determine which hen it is comeing from. ( Maybe it is her ) I don't think she is going to make it too much longer if this continues. Help Betsy if you can.

Does she seem to be straining?
You can put her in a warm bath. It needs to be warmer than her skin temp and warm enough to relax her. Be sure to hold on to her as she will likely fall asleep and can drown.
After her bath, if you have mineral oil or KY jelly, you can carefully apply some up in her vent to help lubricate and help her pass an egg, if that is the trouble.
Good Luck!

Betsy doesn't seem to be straining, she just sits for hours and then nothing happens. I didn't know you could put a chicken in a warm bath ! I will give this a try. Thank you for your help::
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom