Egg Bound?

LinzRebecca

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 11, 2014
Our White Leghorn laid a teeny tiny egg a week ago. It was about 1/4 the size of a normal one with a normal, hard shell. She hasn't laid since then and in the last day or two has been slower than normal and looks like she's waddling when she walks/runs. I just went and sat outside for a while to watch her and she just stood under the coop with her tail angled down just standing really still. She looks healthy, has all her feathers, etc. but looks like she's just uncomfortable all the time lately.

The tiny egg, next to one of our Easter Egger's eggs. The Leghorn's are usually about the same size as the EE's. Ignore my weirdly stretched out alien hand. Cell phone cameras sometimes do weird things to human bodies.

Last edited:
My dad came over and we both felt in there about 2" deep and didn't feel an egg. She had lots of dried poo hanging off her butt which I pulled off as much as I could. Also crushed up a tums with a boiled egg and let all 3 chickens share to give them some extra calcium. Don't know what the deal is. Maybe she's just constipated. She was kind of pumping her rear like she was trying to poop and couldn't but that may have just been a reaction to being probed. So now I have no idea what's wrong. Any thoughts?

She's acting the same today and I feel her abdomen is swollen. She did poop, but I don't think that means she isn't egg bound, right? Didn't know what else to do, so I gave her a tums. She ate maybe 1/4 of it and she's soaking in the tub now. Fingers crossed. She's our favorite. The only one who acts truly happy to see us instead of just begging for treats.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom