egg boxes on my new coop

woodville chickens

Hatching
8 Years
Jan 9, 2012
I am about to start constructing our first chicken coop! The construction is not a problem as i am a multi skilled tradesman, i have just one question. On all the plans ive seen for coops, all the egg boxes are quite high up the side(or front/back) of the coop, and there seems to be no steps for access to the nest boxes. Is it necessary for the egg boxes to be high up, or could they be at a lower level??
This is our first attempt at keeping chickens, i have been around the birds before on a friends farm so know how to handle them properly etc..., this is the only thing i am concerned about.
We would be grateful for any help, and soon enough will be uploading a picture of our coop(complete with birds).

Thanks guys,
The Woodville chickens

Thanks! Let the build commence
smile.png

We have ours up higher, it makes collection convenient and keeps the chickens from walking on the eggs - they are in an area they only go to if they are laying.

I would suggest 3 things to consider:

1. Chickens like to roost at highest point in the coop. The nests should be lower than the roosts, so the birds wont sleep in and consequently poop in the nests.

2. Older and heavier breed may have a tough time access nest that is too high.

3. Access to retrieve eggs and clean.

My nests are 18" AFF. I use the room below to hang feeder and waterer.

I also have a perch in front of the nests for easier of access for the birds.

As the poster before said-- it's best to keep in mind that chickens roost on whatever is higher. Your nests should be lower than your roosts. I kept my nest boxes low to the ground-- but I kept in mind the fact that I am using the deep litter method and that the floor will be filled with 6 inches (or more) of chips and the nests did need to be higher than that. Here is what I did. Easy to access from the outside, too. I also made my boxes on the larger side-- so that my bigger breeds would find it very roomy and comfortable.

900x600px-LL-21566d7c_96635_img_4879.jpeg

900x600px-LL-5b5252b5_96635_img_4880.jpeg

I have a small coop and my nest boxes are only a few inches off the floor and everybody makes it into the boxes. Go for it!

Back
Top Bottom