Egg Breeding Chart Questions

Ahygre21

Chirping
Mar 30, 2022
I have starlight green Egger hens (green) with a mystic onyx rooster (light brown). I am trying to understand the genetics, if I were to put these in the incubator, would there be a 50/50 chance the offspring would lay green eggs? Any information is appreciated!

I have starlight green Egger hens (green) with a mystic onyx rooster (light brown). I am trying to understand the genetics, if I were to put these in the incubator, would there be a 50/50 chance the offspring would lay green eggs? Any information is appreciated!
Yes, that is what I would expect: 50% of chicks get the genes to lay green eggs, the other 50% get the genes to lay brown eggs.

You mean that chart?

Attachments

• A3DC02B4-3691-42A6-BE92-4C7093C0ACDE.jpeg
    A3DC02B4-3691-42A6-BE92-4C7093C0ACDE.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 15
  • C6498866-F5B9-42C1-BC63-79530D201810.jpeg
    C6498866-F5B9-42C1-BC63-79530D201810.jpeg
    841.1 KB · Views: 15
Yes, that is what I would expect: 50% of chicks get the genes to lay green eggs, the other 50% get the genes to lay brown eggs.
Aren't both of these crosses?
For the blue component, it may be only 25% chance of blue shells.

Aren't both of these crosses?
For the blue component, it may be only 25% chance of blue shells.
OP said the Starlight Green egger hens lay green eggs. That means each one must have at least one blue egg gene. Otherwise they would be laying brown eggs.

If the hen has one blue egg gene, she gives it to half of her chicks. That gives a 50/50 split.

Since the rooster is a brown-egg breed, he gives no blue egg gene.

That leaves every chick with a 50/50 chance of having the blue egg gene (green eggs rather than actual blue, considering all the brown genes involved.)

Actually, since I do not know the breeding of the Starlight Green Eggers, there is a chance of them having two blue egg genes. For any hen with 2 blue egg genes, all of her chicks will lay green eggs.

So the final numbers should be 50% to 100% of daughters laying green eggs, 50% to 0% of daughters laying brown eggs, with the males having the same egg-color genes as their sisters but obviously not laying any eggs.

Or the one gene doesn't pass down at all.
I learned this crossing EE's.
Okay, ON AVERAGE the blue egg gene should go to half of her chicks.

Of course averages don't always come out right with small sample sizes (like hatching ten chicks and getting a split of 8/2 for genders. I'm sure plenty of us have seen things like that.)

Back
Top Bottom