egg burst inside chicken???

ToshaMisner

Hatching
Mar 19, 2016
Port Vincent, La

I was told that this is an egg that burst inside my hen while she was trying to lay... I've let her vent soak in an Epsom salt bath. I was also told to give her a Tums? I'be let her soak in Epsom salt bath, cleaned her bottom, and I have her in a cage in my house to keep a close eye on her. Is there anything else I should be doing? I've never had this happen before. Actually, I have never even heard of this happening...

I was told that this is an egg that burst inside my hen while she was trying to lay... I've let her vent soak in an Epsom salt bath. I was also told to give her a Tums? I'be let her soak in Epsom salt bath, cleaned her bottom, and I have her in a cage in my house to keep a close eye on her. Is there anything else I should be doing? I've never had this happen before. Actually, I have never even heard of this happening...
I have never run across this before. Do you have a local vet for your critters? If so, have you tried to call or make an appointment for your hen to get looked at?

Wishing your hen the best and hopefully this isn't something that is recurring or wrong with her.

Last edited:
I do have a local vet, but never had to bring my chickens. I posted this on a FB page named Chickens 101, and a few that commented telling me what I need to do have had this happen to their chickens as well. They gave me directions on how to care for them. I'be done everything they said and she seems to be doing fine. I am just in awe that this happened...I've never heard of such a thing.

I do have a local vet, but never had to bring my chickens. I posted this on a FB page named Chickens 101, and a few that commented telling me what I need to do have had this happen to their chickens as well. They gave me directions on how to care for them. I'be done everything they said and she seems to be doing fine. I am just in awe that this happened...I've never heard of such a thing.
I have never had to bring one of our chickens (only have had them for just over a year now) up until this week. Glad that you were able to find others going through something similar to give you advice. Glad your hen is doing fine. I am sure that I would be in awe as you were. All the best to your hens!

One of my hens seems to have the same thing that you described in this thread last year. It seems that the egg must have not had a shell, but just the soft membrane. You said you posted on FB and got some advice about what to do. Do you mind sharing what you did and whether or not it helped your hen?

Back
Top Bottom