Egg Candeling Question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lmdengler, Mar 12, 2018.

1. lmdengler

lmdengler Songster

Jun 2, 2017
    Upstate New York
    So I am trying to hatch a bunch of eggs myself. Last month (Jan/Feb) my friend tried to hatch eggs (remember the Marans that out of a 12 - only one hatched) and only one hatched. So I thought I'd try again myself. I am on Day 10. I candled yesterday. Some were "clear". My brother said those weren't fertile. Several were really "dark" about half way. Some had veins. My question is the one about the "dark" half way. You can't see through it at all. What does this mean?

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I am also new to candling/hatching, so.....:D I'd like to hear from others.

I have found this site very helpful - some good photos. It's exciting for sure, but a bit nerve racking too https://www.raising-happy-chickens.com/hatch-patterns.html
    (scroll down the page, you will find pictures for different stages)

3. crazy rooster34

crazy rooster34 Chirping

May 28, 2016
    i put 8 eggs in a incubator about 5 months ago and candled them on day 12 but i couldn't see anything in any of them and 2 were so dark you couldn't see in them but i just left them there for all 21 days and six of them hatched so canceling for me hasn't worked out either time for me because i didn't see anything but i could've just overlooked something, I'm new to this candling eggs to

ChickNanny13 and Wyorp Rock like this.
  4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I have 2 that I have a hard time see much of anything - but there is movement for sure:) I had 1 clear and 1 obvious blood ring (dead) but so far so good:fl

ChickNanny13 likes this.
  5. crazy rooster34

crazy rooster34 Chirping

May 28, 2016
    wishing you the best hatch

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  6. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Thank You!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: