1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg Candling Help! with Pics

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by major, Mar 19, 2012.

1. major

major Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2012
    These are my 12 araucana eggs at 6 days I don't know if iv been reading to much about candling but I am starting to think I can see blood rings in most of them :-( any feed back would to great,

[​IMG]
    Egg1

[​IMG]
    Egg 2 Is this a blood ring or just a blood vassal,

[​IMG]
    Egg 3 A dark ring.....?

[​IMG]
    Egg 4

[​IMG]
    Egg 5

[​IMG]
    Egg 6

[​IMG]
    Egg 7

[​IMG]
    Egg 8

[​IMG]
    Egg 9 Is the black spot a good thing,

[​IMG]
    Egg 9 again!

[​IMG]
    Egg 10 looking infertile

[​IMG]
    Egg 11

[​IMG]
    Egg 12

Thanks for looking,

2. 1sttimechick

1sttimechick Out Of The Brooder

Feb 29, 2012
    Massachusetts
    I am also a newbie at this but i do have eggs going into lockdown tomorrow night. That being said i did candle several times during incubation. You are looking too early to be definite about any of them. I would at least wait til day 14 to omit any, unless you get a smelly one, then you should get rid of it right away. I would agree with you about egg 10, but again i would absolutely leave it until day 14 unless it starts to smell. It is really hard to see what you see through the photos, but i can say that i see some development, veining. I know at day 5 when i candled i could see, what appeared to be a heartbeat in that black blob. And remember that you are candling darker shelled eggs which is much harder to see through! I hope someone that is more seasoned with this will show up and maybe provide some more insight. I know alot of people on here wait til day 18 to candle and that is the only time they do it, and with great hatch rates may i add. But i could not do such a thing! [​IMG]Its amazing to watch them grow!

Best of luck and happy hatching!

3. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I see veining in most of them. The black spot is a good thing - that's the chick! [​IMG] Definitely wait until Day 14 to candle again - it will be obvious which ones aren't developed by then.

4. smchickfarm

smchickfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    Waynesville,OH
    definitely see veins in 4, 6, 7 12. yes, the black spot is a good thing!!!!!!!

I agree, candle again at day 14 or 15!

Good Luck [​IMG]

5. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    I see veining in 4,5,6,7.11 and 12. Good to know the embryo is that dark spot so #9 others say is good, I've never seen it in my eggs as we wait until day 10 to candle for exactly the reason of your eggs 1 and 2. They have that porous look and you just can't see much in them until much later in hatch.

6. major

major Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2012
    Thanks for your input, I can see veins in 11 of them so I will have to wait till day 14 to fine out how they are getting on,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by