egg candling on day 20

amirfarmer

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 9, 2013
today is the 20th day of my broody hen....i heard no chrip or any sound so i candled the eggs....all the eggs looked fine but one egg was completely dark.....i couldnt see any thing not even air sack....it seemed like the light was not passing through it.....i couldnt see not even a tiny thing in egg....it wad whole dark plzzzz help!!!!TELL ME THAT WHEN EGG STARTS TO PIP OR ZIP....i am very scared!!!

I have no experience with hatching but for chickens the eggs hatch on day 21 so I would think pipping would happen on day 21. So on day 20 I'd think that there would be a fully formed chick in the egg and that no light would pass through. I don't know though, maybe someone experienced will stop by.

Frankly, at day 20, you probably should just be letting them be. Whatever happens is going to happen and candling gets you nothing at this point. Keep them at proper temp and humidity. Opening the lid now, when using an incubator, isn't a wise thing for candling and any other reason, quite honestly.
Eggs under a broody, such as you have, are in her control.

The eggs have their own timing, depending on many variables such as temperature consistency during incubation. They could hatch on time or be a day or two late. Patience and hands off will increase your chances. Many more chicks die because of impatient hatchers. Let nature take its course. Oh, I know it is a hard thing to do, but it is usually the best thing to do, nothing.

Last edited:
Frankly, at day 20, you probably should just be letting them be.  Whatever happens is going to happen and candling gets you nothing at this point.  Keep them at proper temp and humidity.  Opening the lid now, when using an incubator, isn't a wise thing for candling and any other reason, quite honestly.
Eggs under a broody, such as you have, are in her control.  

The eggs have their own timing, depending on many variables such as temperature consistency during incubation.  They could hatch on time or be a day or two late.  Patience and hands off will increase your chances.  Many more chicks die because of impatient hatchers.  Let nature take its course.  Oh, I know it is a hard thing to do, but it is usually the best thing to do, nothing.
......i am worried because my hen left her eggs for 8 hours altough the eggs didnt get cold but they went normal temp....thats why i am scared

Or even wait a couple days. I've read that low incubation temps can make them hatch late. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom