Egg Candling! Tips, Tricks, and Best Practices.

Pics
I did that Three times even before I put the eggs in there to make sure double checked reset everything and then tested the automatic turner I think I'm going crazy.

Also make sure that the wire for the turner is plugged in all the way. Other than that, I can't think of anything else that would prevent them from turning. :)

The Delaware eggs are a cream color. On day 2 I still can't see anything with the naked eye but I can usually tell by day 3! Fingers crossed I'm not starting this project with infertile eggs, that would be funny. LOL!

5-7-21 Day 2.jpg

I'm over here like "I just want to see a little movement" but nopeeee. Whoever invents an egg candler that can show the Dark eggs will be a millionaire 😂
The PowerLux candler I had worked rather well for dark olive pheasant eggs. I would say any torch with very high lumens would work as long as you could fashion a way to concentrate the light only on the egg and not have any escaped light.

The PowerLux candler I had worked rather well for dark olive pheasant eggs. I would say any torch with very high lumens would work as long as you could fashion a way to concentrate the light only on the egg and not have any escaped light.

My very professional design to prevent light from escaping is by using my sausage figures to cup the egg while I candle. lol, It seems to work well for me.
hysterical.gif

My very professional design to prevent light from escaping is by using my sausage figures to cup the egg while I candle. lol, It seems to work well for me. View attachment 2656234
LOL.. yep I've done that myself hehe.

I remember my mom and dad made a candling contraption (back in the day) - essentially a wooden box that could be placed over top of a light and they cut a wee hole in the top of that box to direct the light. Around the edge of that hole they glued something soft to sit the egg on - like old towel or rubber roam or similar. Worked really well for them!

I was thinking that a similar contraption would be handy for anyone then wanting to take pictures - since it's really a pain trying to take pictures with one hand while carefully candling an egg in the other LOL>

LOL.. yep I've done that myself hehe.

I remember my mom and dad made a candling contraption (back in the day) - essentially a wooden box that could be placed over top of a light and they cut a wee hole in the top of that box to direct the light. Around the edge of that hole they glued something soft to sit the egg on - like old towel or rubber roam or similar. Worked really well for them!

I was thinking that a similar contraption would be handy for anyone then wanting to take pictures - since it's really a pain trying to take pictures with one hand while carefully candling an egg in the other LOL>

I agree! Thank you for the suggestion! I have seen some wonderful contraptions like the one your describing. I'm hoping that if someone has one they already use, that they can share some pictures here. If not I may try to come up with a couple just for the thread. :)

Back
Top Bottom