Egg Carton

mandisdad

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 25, 2013
Hi!

I have done a lot of reading and would like to try having my Bobwhites hatch in an egg carton. My eggs came in Styrofoam...not sure this is the carton I should put them in at day 20 (lock down). I have them in an automatic egg turner now but from the research I have done, it seems they hatch best in a carton.

Suggestions or pictures? PLEASE!!

Thanks in advance. :)

Lots of people hatch in cartons, I don't think it is more effective, but it's no less effective. Bobs are hatched commercially and privately by the hundreds of thousands each year, so they hatch well however you cut it.

When I first started I hatched in paper cartons the first few runs because I didn't have a turner, just a set of blocks to move one side to other to tilt the cartons.. I cut small holes (or maybe I drilled them?) in the sides of the egg cups for airflow, although I doubt it is really required. I've never tried foam cartons but I've spoken to others who have, with no issues. I can't say exactly why I think foam cartons might be a bad idea but I've always just felt that way. Basically it's just like a normal hatch. The only thing I did differently was put the cartons in the incubator for a day ahead of time so the paper would hydrate and not wick any moisture out of the eggs.

Thanks...anybody else?

Where can I get an egg carton that is appropriate for Bobwhite eggs?

Georgia Quail Farm GQF.com has egg cartons for quail. For bobwhite just order the quail size trays. For Coturnix order the chuckar cartons.

Chicken-Farmer

Thank you.

I ordered them. I am going to hatch 1/2 in an egg carton and 1/2 without. I am a teacher and we are hatching Bobwhite quail. We are working with our local environmental agency to help repopulate into the wild.

Hoping things go well. 16 days until hatch!

I also have mine in a carton. Shipped eggs. Should I leave them there at lockdown or take them out and lay them on their sides?

Back
Top Bottom