Egg catcher design

may98

Hatching
10 Years
Jun 14, 2009
I have an out-of-the-box idea that I wanted someone to consider and suggest better ways. We have a coop that has about 10 layers that share 3 nesting boxes. I am using a design that I copied from my dad, who copied from his grandfather. Some details have changed, but the basic idea is to have a pen with a coop on the edge so all the feeding, watering and egg collecting can be done without entering the pen. The nest boxes are built on a slant to allow the eggs to roll into a trough, where I collect them at the end of the day. Everything works well. The chickens are dry in the rainy weather, cool in the summer, warm in the winter...and I seldom enter the pen. Oh, and the material for the coop is under $100 new. (I think)

The only problem is that one or more of the chickens stick their heads our of the nest and peck the eggs. I know, I should just figure out which hen it is and cull it, but I really want the nest to be "peck proof". It is time to build some new nests, and I'm trying to come up with a better way to keep the chickens from having access to previously layed eggs. I tried having them fall on to sponges, but if the eggs hit another egg, they crack. I don't have enough space to let the eggs roll further than the chickens' necks, and even if I did, they would probably be going to fast and crack as they hit the wall.

I am thinking about letting the eggs roll down to a 1 1/2" PVC pipe that is filled with a fluid. The eggs will sink to the bottom and I can pull out the pipe at the end of the day, collect the eggs, and re-fill the pipe for the next day. If this would work, what should I use? Water by itself will probably encourage bacteria growth, right? Vinegar will weaken the egg shell. Would a little bleach mixed in be ok? Has anyone seen a similar design? I don't know how to do this, but I would love to see the eggs fall through the fluid, then collect in the dry.

If the boxes had a divider that was just high enough at the bottom to allow the eggs to roll out, it seems it would be too low for the chickens to reach through.

There's no practical way to do a "fluid catcher"

Back
Top Bottom