Egg Chaos Ensues

Ruralhideaway

Crowing
6 Years
Sep 21, 2017
Upstate NY
So I have 16 pullets. 4 @ 27 weeks, 12 @ 21 weeks.

I've been sure of 3 of the older laying, have seen them lay, nice hard shells. One lays daily, one every other, one I'm only sure of 2 eggs.

I found a partially shelled rubber egg yesterday where they sleep. Today one fully rubber plus a rubber yolk.

They've had a feeder full of oyster shell since the first egg appeared about 2 weeks ago. I see them picking at the oyster but no real way to know who's eating what.

Do you guys think it's a normal start up issue or a problem? Did one bird drop both the rubber egg and the rubber yolk this morning?

I'll do that. I think it's the barred rock whatever cross though, she's squatting and the only older one I haven't actually observed laying.

The pullet I think laid these rubber eggs did it those two mornings then nothing since. Unless they are getting eaten but I doubt it, I'm checking at 6am then out there throughout the day. She's not squatting as much either.

I had similar issues with startup on a few hens over the past few seasons. I have even had established layers do this after taking a small break and then things went back to normal. I think I would start to consider it an issue if it happened frequently.

Back
Top Bottom