Egg chart

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Crazy4Chicks, Dec 28, 2007.

1. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    DH got me a book on chickens for christmas, so with that and the bator Santa gave me -- should I tell DH come spring he is doomed???

Anyway in this book there is a chart to tell how many eggs your chicken has laid and since most of mine have no idea what an egg is yet LOL I wanted to see how true this chart is from all of you.

When this part of the body loses its yellow color- this is how many eggs may have been laid.

Vent, Eye ring, earlobe -- 10
    Beak with half its color -- 15
    Beak with one-third its color -- 25
    Beak completely bleached -- 35
    Bottoms of feet -- 75
    Front of shanks -- 95
    Rear of shanks -- 160
    Tops of toes --175
    Back of hock joint -- 180

ok now all of you go outside and look at your birds and let me know if this chart is right LOL
    if not I am writing the guy who wrote the book and telling him your results !!

Julie

2. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Your chart only applies to yellow skin breeds and not all breeds. have never seen a beak lose color as suggested in the chart. Feet and legs yes.

3. KingsCalls

KingsCalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    New Market,Tn.
    Hey Crazy, If I was to ever lay "one" egg, I'd change into all sorts of colors! Completely bleached being one of them. LOL

4. EggCentric

EggCentric Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Ball Ground, Ga
    We should make an egg chart. Pictures of eggs alongside what kind of chicken laid that particular egg. Could be fun!

5. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    I love that idea of taking pics of the egg along with the bird.
    If I can catch my two layers I will take pics of them with the eggs.

Julie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by