Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Dixiedoodle, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Yep! I have egg-citment going on here... I have been getting eggs from my Barred Rocks--for weeks, my RIR started two weeks ago and now I have Buff Orpintion eggs... My first layers, always lay in the afternoon...This morning (7:30), I was cleaning out the coop and Big Deloris (BO) came flying in singing a song.....jumped up into the nestbox, fluffed it up a bit and sat down.....Two hours later I go out and find 3 eggs!!!

Now, I am wondering if my other girls decided morning was ok for laying or if I have three new layers....

My question: does each hen lay at different times of the day or do they stick to a routine????

Oh, the egg-citement...... [​IMG] waiting until late afternoon...will be so hard!!!
  2. mk4lh

mk4lh Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2009
  3. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
  4. gardenak

gardenak Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Douglas, AK
    They are kind of like the tide. It takes about 25 hours to form & lay and egg, so if they lay at 7:00 am on day 1, it'll be closer to 8:00 am on day 2, until they skip a day ans start the cycle over. Congrats on the new egg.
  5. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Now I am really egg-cited! SEVEN (7) eggs today!!! Two RIR, Three BR and two BO!!! Now, if those little blue and green eggs will come---I will be dancing on a cloud....

It's so nice to share with you all--cause you understand the egg- citement! Dh pats me on the head and says things like: "I guess it's cheaper than therapy!", " If it makes you happy, I am thrilled" ...etc...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by