Egg cleaning

AngryQuailFarms

Hatching
7 Years
Nov 16, 2012
Mid Missouri
Just exactly how clean do y'all get your quail eggs before consumption. We have found a lot of conflicting info about how to clean the eggs, soaking in water, different abrasives/clothes used for cleaning. I guess the big question is HOW clean does one need to get them. Do we really have to scrub all of the spots off the things, or will just a quick wipe with a cloth be enough? I'm a firm believer in attempting to do something the best way possible even if it means some extra elbow grease, but don't know enough to make an informed decision.

Any help would be great,
Thanks the Andersons

Well, it depends really.

What kind of quail do you have? I imagine Japanese? And also how mucky are they? We don't really clean our quail eggs because the birds seem to mess up anything and everything except the eggs!

If they really are too horrible and scanky to eat, just give them a quick wipe with a warm, wet cloth. And no, you don't have to scrub the spots off, that's just the colouring.

If I havent answered everything, or you have another Q, just say.

Good luck with your cleaning!

They are Coturnix quail. We are a bit nervous about getting sick from the stuff left on the egg, you can scratch it off with your fingernail, might be poop. On a side note I guess we shouldn't flip out ( I accidentally swallowed some diesel yesterday and seem to have survived) but we have a germafobe in the house. If possible could someone post a picture of an egg post cleaning?

I usually get my hands a little soapy with dish soap, roll the eggs around in my hand, and rinse the eggs thoroughly with cool water immediately before use. The eggs are stored unwashed in the refrigerator to preserve the "bloom" that prevents spoilage.
If you want to know what a "clean" egg looks like, use warm (not hot) water, a little soap, and a soft dish cloth and give the egg a little scrub all over. Spots are normal, and can be scratched off because the egg shell is added in layers inside the bird.

Something to keep in mind is that you'll probably be cooking the eggs. If washing the eggs doesn't kill 100% of the bacteria, then cooking absolutely will!

Back
Top Bottom