1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg collecting

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TnChickHen, Sep 15, 2011.

1. TnChickHen

TnChickHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    TN
    What time of day do you collect eggs? I usually get 2 eggs a day, 1 from my BO Ginger, and 1 from my RIR Ruby. I've thought about letting the eggs sit until I go to lock everyone up at night. What do you do?

2. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    Due to the heat & humidity where I am, I collect at least twice a day & they are both long before they roost for the night.
    I pretty much have an idea of who lays at what part of the day, So that's when I collect. I like to get them inside as soon as possible, not just for the heat, but also in case their are predators laying in wait. (An egg-eating snake might not be too noticable behind the coop!)

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I collect my eggs every day after work (around 5pm). It's just a habit, I guess. I go down to the coop and say howdy, everybody comes a'runnin! I just love it! Then I take the eggs.

4. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    We collect when the thought comes to mind. As everyone is collecting it's common to get eggs the next day and find twice as many, "I thought you gathered yesterday."

In general we collect in afternoon after they've all layed.

5. erinchelsea

erinchelsea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    Webster City, IA
    I wait till late afternoon when they're done laying. My girls are lazy and don't lay in the morning anyway! [​IMG]

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I collect when I get home from work, after a 10 hour day and a 90 minute commute. On the weekends, I collect throughout the day because it's so much fun.

It's dark when I leave for work, and I don't want to disturb the loud-mouthed crowers before they would naturally start to greet the morning and leave the coop. Sometimes, however, a couple roosters will crow when they hear me start my car.

When it starts getting dark before I get home from work, I will disturb them in the evening by turning on the lights in the coop so I can see to gather the day's eggs.

7. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    I have a boring life, so I collect eggs a couple or 3 times a day. Lately more because I have a broody that keeps stealing my eggs. She is already sitting on way to many!!

8. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    I collect late in the afternoon, but if they sit until the next day it's not going to hurt anything. I have left on a Friday night for a weekend trip and not collected the eggs until Sunday evening......in the middle of summer. Eggs will be just fine.

9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:Ahh, yes, if the concern was about safety of eating eggs left in the nest a while, I missed that. But Moetrout is right: unless there is broody hen setting on the eggs to incubate them, eggs can be gathered as much as four days later. Plus, I keep mine on my kitchen counter for weeks. I only refrigerate the "dirty" eggs, after I wash them.. Washing removes the "bloom" that helps keep the shells sealed.

10. TnChickHen

TnChickHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    TN
    Wow, I love all the answers I'm getting. Fantastic advice! I have a 2 year old RIR that I would like to become broody, but not sure how to approach that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by