Egg collection from the kitchen

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by KDK1, Jul 11, 2011.

1. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Just an idea for now. I was thinking about remodeling the coop to be more people friendly but I have limited space. If I moved the feeding system where I want to, it will be under the roost but if I put it where the nesting boxes are, it would be perfect. Problem is what to do with the nest box? Here's my idea. The coop shares a wall (10" thick) with the kitchen. If I put the boxes in this space, 1 box in each 16" space, leaving only 3 or 4 inches insde the coop and put a drop down door in the kitchen that only exposes the top half of the nesting box. The kitchen is the only room in the house I haven't finished remodeling after hurricane Ike wiped us out three years ago. There are no cabinets to speak of yet. Just wondering what yall think before I spring it on the little woman. Keep in mind, I'm just a tad on the red side (redneck that is).

2. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    That's a very clever idea! Post pictures keep us informed!

[​IMG]

Nate

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  3. KDK1

Quote:It still has to pass the approval committee. I busted out laughing when I thought of it.

4. biddybird

biddybird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Salado Texas
    Sorry, I'm a redneck woman, but not sure I want to collect eggs from inside my kitchen. Would definately run that by the kitchen boss first!!! Surprises may not be good!!! [​IMG]

Does sound really ingenious though!!!! [​IMG]

5. Bossroo

Bossroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    Sounds good in principal... however the local health department, building department the resident chef extordinair and maid may have other vues on the subject. [​IMG]

6. ssellis

ssellis Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2011
    South Carolina
    wheres the recreation in that. The enjoyment is to Go collect the eggs, not have the eggs delivered/[​IMG]

7. KDK1

Oh well... NEVER MIND, got shot down. I'm allowed to do it in the garage, but that means I'd have to move the coop... and THAT aint happnin'.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by