Egg color change?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by aalbury, Dec 11, 2009.

1. aalbury

aalbury Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2009
    GA
    I have an Easter Egger that was laying pink pullet eggs and now - unless I have another laying 2 eggs a day - they are green.... Will they stay green now? She laid pinkish brown eggs for about 2 months (when starting to lay) and this is her 3rd month....

2. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    I heard that whatever color they lay is the color they lay - so I would think you have another layer!

Lucky you!
    CAL
    Jax FL

3. DLS

DLS Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]I have one that lays DARK brown eggs.... ERRrrr used to now they look almost pink

4. aalbury

Nov 5, 2009
    GA
    [​IMG] There are only 4 Easter Eggers and one Australorp in that coop. 5 eggs now a day - 2 blue, 2 green and one brown. It used to be: one pink, one brown, 2 blue and one green..... Is it possible for them to lay more than one a day? Otherwise, she has not laid a pink egg in a few weeks - or she's not laying at all. I hatched one of the pink eggs - the roo was a BR, and the baby is definitely out of an EE because he has poofy cheeks.

5. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    Okay anyone else besides me [​IMG] want to see a picture of that baby BR with puffy EE cheeks

Please don't leave us hanging! We need FOTOS please![​IMG]:bow

LOL
    Caroline
    JAX FL

6. aalbury

Nov 5, 2009
    GA
    I've got newer pics on my PC at home, but this is when he was a few days old - the one out of a brown australorp egg is in front, he is the poofy one behind her.

[​IMG]

7. aalbury

Nov 5, 2009
    GA
    It's now got stripes on his wings and long tail feathers....I'll post new pics tonight....all the BR crosses have white stripes now actually, but that first one is the only one with tail feathers....

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  8. aalbury

Nov 5, 2009
    GA
    OOps. I meant to post them here, but they are here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=275306

I
    think I figured out the issue. Another chick passed on day 1 of hatching and we marked the wrong one. After thinking about it, I think both the pink eggs and the brown eggs are both from the Australorp. She must have laid an egg in the morning a few times and an egg in the evening.... So, fuzzy cheeks came out of blue egg #2 rather than pink egg #1. Looking back at the photos of the 2 that hatched on time, I figured it out. That chick was darker and had no poofies....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by