Egg color changing right before my eyes

roseyred

Songster
5 Years
Jun 5, 2014
Yesterday I collected my first Easter egg or egg that was bright blue and I noticed when I had my hand on it where my fingers where it would leave a little stain but as soon as I remove them it would fade away. So thinking I was crazy I just put it in the refrigerator. I collected another bright blue egg this morning from the same check in and when I brought it inside to put in the refrigerator I picked up the egg from yesterday which was now a olive green. I thought that was weird so as I was holding the olive green egg where my fingers were started to turn bright blue like the other egg. It's way easier to see it then for me to describe it but this **** is awesome so what is this called how does this happen?

See you can see where my thumb was! ***! It's like brown around it. I guess it turned a little bluer cause it was in my hand so long but the one on the left in both pictures is refrigerated.

That is crazy cool. I'm sorry I don't have any feedback on it. I'm following to find out.

Look

See! ***! As soon as tey come out of the refrigerator there green then if I touch em they start to turn blue and as they warm up there a greenish brown. Someone please tell me *** lol

Fascinating video! Good job.

You probably have an Easter Egger rather than a pure breed Ameraucana, she was probably from a cross between and Ameraucana and brown egg layer...thus the green eggs.

Brown egg coating over blue egg makes green....sometimes the coating doesn't 'stick' well and can even be washed off.

It's odd that it seems to turn color then turn back, could have something to do with the condensation formed by taking an egg out of the cold fridge into a warm humid air.

Can also take new layers a few weeks to iron out the kinks in the newly functional egg making apparatus, you may see more changes over the next month or so.

Yeah I'm not really sure what she is....all I know is her eggs are like a mood ring witch is freakin awesome. I def wanna breed her with my cuckoo maran and see what kinda awesomeness comes out

Yeah I'm not really sure what she is....all I know is her eggs are like a mood ring witch is freakin awesome. I def wanna breed her with my cuckoo maran and see what kinda awesomeness comes out

Is it the acid on your hands. Try washing your hands no soap before you touch the eggs.
It looks like the egg is wet in the video does it do this when its dry and warm?

Is it the acid on your hands.  Try washing your hands no soap before you touch the eggs.  
It looks like the egg is wet in the video does it do this when its dry and warm?
It's just shiny not wet. If you zoom in on the blue egg it's actualy porus looking like maybe the chcken has genes for green eggs and blue eggs. And when it's cold the "paint" expands. Also I watched it change color in the nest turning green in areas the chicken wasn't sitting on so I don't think it's what's on my hands. I think it's a temperature thing.

Back
Top Bottom