Egg color has changed

Thomps Hens

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 29, 2013
Ohio
I have noticed the last couple days that one of our chickens is laying a little bit lighter brown colored egg with small spots compared to the medium brown color she was laying. What constitutes the color their egg is and what can cause it to change? The only hens that are laying out of our 9 are 3 ISA Browns and their egg color is usually always consistent til a couple days ago. They have all three been laying for a month now.

I have noticed the last couple days that one of our chickens is laying a little bit lighter brown colored egg with small spots compared to the medium brown color she was laying. What constitutes the color their egg is and what can cause it to change? The only hens that are laying out of our 9 are 3 ISA Browns and their egg color is usually always consistent til a couple days ago. They have all three been laying for a month now.

Could be the dye that colors the egg brown is getting lower maybe something else. Is there a change in the diet?

Last edited:
The range of color saturation typically changes, especially when they first start laying. They haven't got all the stages right yet and it can take several months before their bodies have it all figured out - it's quite the process! The color will also change as they age, as the seasons change, as their diet changes. I get some really speckled eggs now and then!

It's just a normal variation. My understanding is the "color coating" is the last thing applied to the egg as it's formed, and sometimes you get speckles or different shades just from the chicken being a living being.

Back
Top Bottom