Egg color has drastically changed

Karen1958

In the Brooder
Sep 20, 2016
Eagle Creek Oregon

My Rhode Island have been laying the dark brown eggs for a month, but in the last week I have had 2 light beige eggs. Is it possible for her eggs to change colors that drastically or is possibly my white rock laying? I know my rock is close & I checked her vent can't tell. Any thoughts?

Do you or anyone else have any idea if it is my RIR laying light beige eggs after a month why she would be? I got another one and it is oblong not so round as all the others have been. She has been eating the same but out for about 1 to 2 hours during the nice days free ranging. Obviously I am new at this whole chicken raising stuff so everything is new to me right now. Very confused

Boy, those eggs sure look to be identical in shape....but not sure egg color could change that much.

You could examine vents and pelvic points to see who is laying and who is not.
I find the pelvic points to be more decisive, vent appearances take some practice/experience.

Vent Appearance:
Dry, tight, and smaller - usually not laying.
Moist, wide, and larger - usually laying.

Pelvic Points 2 bony points(pelvic bones) on either side of vent:
Less than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means not laying.
More than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means laying.

As birds age, thier egg color lightens up. My RIR Mel, used to lay a orange egg and within a month or two, the wggs became lighter. Mel is pretty much my "Warrior" because last yr, her chest was torn open, we healed her, her toe was torn off, she ate her own chest-wing feathers. Now, she's molting and becoming a frizzle?!?

I have 3 10 mo old Bielfelder hens and 1 rooster i bought from the rare breed auction they are laying cream colored eggs. I also have 6 7 mo hens and 1 rooster
I bought from a local breeder they are laying brown eggs they are isolated in separate pens all get the same food. According the standard they are supposed to lay brown eggs .Is it possible the ones I got from the rare breeds auction are not pure bread, all 11 birds look identical in color and size
Does any one have any thoughts on my dilemma have a nice day and GOD BLESS AMERICA
Harry

Back
Top Bottom