Egg color has drastically changed

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Karen1958, Nov 12, 2016.

1. Karen1958

Karen1958 Just Hatched

Sep 20, 2016
    Eagle Creek Oregon
    [​IMG]
    My Rhode Island have been laying the dark brown eggs for a month, but in the last week I have had 2 light beige eggs. Is it possible for her eggs to change colors that drastically or is possibly my white rock laying? I know my rock is close & I checked her vent can't tell. Any thoughts?

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Bet your White Rock is laying [​IMG]

3. Chicken Bff

Chicken Bff Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    Missiouri
    Not for sure about that. I have all rir and I'm having this same problem.

4. JennaMW14

JennaMW14 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2016
    Probably the white rock

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
  5. Karen1958

Karen1958 Just Hatched

Sep 20, 2016
    Eagle Creek Oregon
    Do you or anyone else have any idea if it is my RIR laying light beige eggs after a month why she would be? I got another one and it is oblong not so round as all the others have been. She has been eating the same but out for about 1 to 2 hours during the nice days free ranging. Obviously I am new at this whole chicken raising stuff so everything is new to me right now. Very confused

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Boy, those eggs sure look to be identical in shape....but not sure egg color could change that much.

You could examine vents and pelvic points to see who is laying and who is not.
    I find the pelvic points to be more decisive, vent appearances take some practice/experience.

Vent Appearance:
    Dry, tight, and smaller - usually not laying.
    Moist, wide, and larger - usually laying.

Pelvic Points 2 bony points(pelvic bones) on either side of vent:
    Less than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means not laying.
    More than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means laying.

7. Silvia2234

Silvia2234 Chillin' With My Peeps

As birds age, thier egg color lightens up. My RIR Mel, used to lay a orange egg and within a month or two, the wggs became lighter. Mel is pretty much my "Warrior" because last yr, her chest was torn open, we healed her, her toe was torn off, she ate her own chest-wing feathers. Now, she's molting and becoming a frizzle?!?

8. HARRY47264

HARRY47264 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2016
    Bismarck AR
    I have 3 10 mo old Bielfelder hens and 1 rooster i bought from the rare breed auction they are laying cream colored eggs. I also have 6 7 mo hens and 1 rooster
    I bought from a local breeder they are laying brown eggs they are isolated in separate pens all get the same food. According the standard they are supposed to lay brown eggs .Is it possible the ones I got from the rare breeds auction are not pure bread, all 11 birds look identical in color and size
    Does any one have any thoughts on my dilemma have a nice day and GOD BLESS AMERICA
    Harry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by