Egg color mystery

Hannychickenmama

Chirping
Jun 3, 2020
I have a Black Copper Maran who I believe had started laying. But the eggs I’m finding are light brown. I was under the impression they laid much darker brown eggs. What could be happening?

It’s possible it could be a different chicken, but I just caught the BCM nosing around the nesting box so I have a suspicion it’s her. Any ideas why the egg is so light brown?

Sometimes the first eggs can be lighter. Their bloom has not really reached full amounts onto the egg. My black copper Marans did that and now they lay really dark brown eggs as expected.
Give it sometime and see what happens. Don’t be disappointed yet, the might have some great looking eggs!

When hen's are young their egg color blotter is not working well. My hen lays lovely dark eggs, but for a while she was adjusting to settle into her colors. Below is one of my hen's first colors. It would have been neat if she laid more that purple color, but I only got the one.
$cz.PNG

When hen's are young their egg color blotter is not working well. My hen lays lovely dark eggs, but for a while she was adjusting to settle into her colors. Below is one of my hen's first colors. It would have been neat if she laid more that purple color, but I only got the one.
View attachment 3670168

Back
Top Bottom