Egg color question

Hi I have three Easter egger bantams and I was wondering what color you would call these eggs. In a few weeks I'm purchasing silked Easter eggers because I was hoping for a blue egg. I was wondering if their eggs are more defined as blue than this? Thanks! Any other breeds you can suggest for color such as pink or other fun colors would be great! : ) Skyr
Those are blue.

I have one EE that lays blue, occasionally a dark blue, more frequently a light sky blue though, & an EE that lays a beautiful turquoise egg.

I will try to get a picture of the turquoise eggs.

I guess I also have to take in consideration that my bantams are very passive and I would like to introduce another type of passive breed so maybe I am stuck with the silk Easter eggers anyway. So now to really narrow down the question is there any passive chickens that lay pretty color eggs 🤣🤓

Yes, sorry for the confusion. To clarify, I didn’t mean that it couldn’t be genetically passed down, but that it wasn’t a selected breed trait for orpingtons and Plymouth rocks, so not every one you buy will lay pink tinted eggs.
couldn’t be genetically passed down.

Still not quite sure what you're trying too explain? :caf(Still abit tired, & waking up) sorry.

Depends on their genetics… my first EE ever laid a rather dull just barely green hued egg, then my next two EEs layed beautiful blue eggs, my two Crested Cream Legbar crosses lay lovely Olive eggs. I am hoping the 3 EEs I am raising will lay bright blues but they are unknowns…

There are 2 related but different genes that create the blue, however EEs and CCLs should all carry the South American Blue Egg gene if they lay blue.

In addition there are genes that effect the gloss or mat effect on an egg, this effects the look of the colour to us. I think the gloss effect makes the eggs look brighter no matter the colour.

If you have browning genes in the mix then the shades can run a huge range. As there are many different genes and some even cancel out each other.

Marans have beautiful Terra Cotta to super brown eggs. These are what my girls are laying right now. Green ones are the CCLXs, the tan ones are Swedish Black Hen, Phoenixes and a D’Uccle. The Pink and lighter Brown are Naked Neck and the real dark brown is a French Maran. I couldn’t find the picture of the blue eggs my old EEs used to lay.
FBEE2032-DFFA-41E0-BB75-1325ECC6E258.jpeg

couldn’t be genetically passed down.

Still not quite sure what you're trying too explain? :caf(Still abit tired, & waking up) sorry.
No problem! I mean bloom is a trait which may be inherited, as you have seen in your own flock. However, it is not one of the standard breed traits orpingtons and plymouth rocks have been bred for throughout the years. So if you purchase one, you may end up with one that has the thick bloom and thus pink tinted eggs, but you may also end up with one that lays an egg with a thinner bloom and produces plain brown eggs.

No problem! I mean bloom is a trait which may be inherited, as you have seen in your own flock. However, it is not one of the standard breed traits orpingtons and plymouth rocks have been bred for throughout the years. So if you purchase one, you may end up with one that has the thick bloom and thus pink tinted eggs, but you may also end up with one that lays an egg with a thinner bloom and produces plain brown eggs.
All my Orpingtons I got last year have heavy bloom, 2 lay pink, & one lays an egg that's off white due to the amount of bloom on it.

It may not be bred for, but it pops up quite frequently from what I see.

My Heritage Plymouth Barred Rocks don't lay pink, but tinted with speckles.

Half my birds lay pink, while the other half doesn't. It's kind of funny seeing this.

Here's the turquoise eggs. They show up green on camera. I struggled to get the exact color photographed.

I even stuck a Silkie egg next to them in hopes it helps with fixing the color contrast on the camera, & it failed.

20220402_110033.jpg
20220402_110226.jpg
20220402_110042.jpg
20220402_110102.jpg
Flash failed me too. Made them even greener on camera.

I need tips for getting colored eggs to show true color on camera.

Yeah photographing eggs is hard… there is a trick to it for sure. I have photos that just don’t get close at all to what I am seeing. Lighting and background colour seem to be part of the secret.

Back
Top Bottom