Egg color Question!

secuono

Crowing
13 Years
May 29, 2010
Virginia
I hope this is the right place to ask.
But I found a site that tells you what color eggs a breed lays. Well, I need more experienced answers, plus, they seem a little weird with how they say the colors.

Here are my breeds, next to them is the 'color' the site says. Some don't have a color because I have no idea. Please tell me what the 'color' means or what color they lay.

Cochin, tinted or yellowy brown.
Welsummer, dark brown.
Silkie, light tint.
Dutch, ?
Japanese, white to light cream.
Brahma, brown.

Note, just found out my Wels are prolly mixed, Wels with buff Orpington.

Last edited:
Quote:
lay brown colored eggs

the colors will lighten over time as the hens lay though so you may start off with a VERY deep brown colored egg but during laying season it will fade some-thats with all eggs

Last edited:
Weird, why does it fade? Does it's darkness come back the next laying year and start fading again?

Sorry, I did know the Japs lay a white to cream egg, mine had those colors. Two hens are supposed to be mixes, d-uccle I think, so no idea if that effects the color.

Quote:
Not 100% sure on the reasoning except I believe the original color returns after they moult. then starts to fde some again as they continue laying

And just to stick my oar in...my silkies lay a soft cream colored egg. After setting and hatching a clutch they go back to laying and the eggs are a deeper color - and very pinkish. Slowly it goes back to soft cream as the laying cycle continues.

Back
Top Bottom