Egg color Question!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by secuono, Dec 6, 2010.

1. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    I hope this is the right place to ask.
    But I found a site that tells you what color eggs a breed lays. Well, I need more experienced answers, plus, they seem a little weird with how they say the colors.

Here are my breeds, next to them is the 'color' the site says. Some don't have a color because I have no idea. Please tell me what the 'color' means or what color they lay.

Cochin, tinted or yellowy brown.
    Welsummer, dark brown.
    Silkie, light tint.
    Dutch, ?
    Japanese, white to light cream.
    Brahma, brown.

Note, just found out my Wels are prolly mixed, Wels with buff Orpington.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote: lay brown colored eggs

the colors will lighten over time as the hens lay though so you may start off with a VERY deep brown colored egg but during laying season it will fade some-thats with all eggs

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  3. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Weird, why does it fade? Does it's darkness come back the next laying year and start fading again?

Sorry, I did know the Japs lay a white to cream egg, mine had those colors. Two hens are supposed to be mixes, d-uccle I think, so no idea if that effects the color.

4. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:Not 100% sure on the reasoning except I believe the original color returns after they moult. then starts to fde some again as they continue laying

5. Rathbone

Rathbone Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2010
    Mojave Desert
    And just to stick my oar in...my silkies lay a soft cream colored egg. After setting and hatching a clutch they go back to laying and the eggs are a deeper color - and very pinkish. Slowly it goes back to soft cream as the laying cycle continues.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by