Egg color question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chris Herzog, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Chris Herzog

Chris Herzog Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2011
    Covington
    Does the egg color have anything to do with the chicks color? In other words, I have a number of BO eggs. Some eggs are darker in color than some of the others and some are much lighter in color than the others. Will the darker colored eggs produce darker colored birds and the lighter colored eggs lighter colored chicks? Just wondering.

This is what keeps me up at night, lol!!!

Thanks,
    Chris

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

It has nothing to do with the colour of egg.

Sounds kind of like - white chickens lay white eggs and brown chickens lay brown eggs.

3. airmechreed

airmechreed Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Colorado Springs
    I don't know but if is what colors the bird then I am dying my leghorns eggs purple with yellow dots.

4. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    Quote:OMG what an awesome idea. I'll do a rainbow!

In answer to the OP, I don't think that the color variation will show in the chicken much. In my last hatch, I had four eggs hatch, they were varying shades of green, some darker than other. All four chickens came out black, and the only way I could tell the difference was toe color and comb.

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    The eggshell color comes from the genetics of the hen. The chicks color comes from the genetics of both parents. No relationship of shell color to chick color at all.

6. silkymom1986

silkymom1986 The Silkie Villa

Sep 28, 2011
    Byhalia, MS
    Quote:[​IMG] Glad I saw this post, I had no idea either, thanks!!!

7. Chris Herzog

Oct 16, 2011
    Covington
    Quote:I guess that’s what I was after. I wasn’t thinking that the egg color was just determined by the hen alone but now that you say that, I guess it would be. It’s just odd to me how much the eggs vary in color from the same breed and same flock of birds. The eggs I have go from a rich brown to almost white.

Anyway thanks,
    Chris

8. Chris Herzog

Oct 16, 2011
    Covington
    Quote:I could go for some purple and yellow hens....I'm a big LSU fan so that would go good around my place. Maybe around Easter I'll die some eggs with food coloring and see what happens.

Thanks for the idea!
    Chris

[​IMG]

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Good luck and have fun...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by