Egg color washing off??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ShaggysGirl, Dec 27, 2009.

1. ShaggysGirl

ShaggysGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2009
    Temperance, MI
    Hey Guys,
    Hope ya all had a great Christmas.
    My youngest pullets are starting to lay or at least one is I think it is a cuckoo Marans but could be wrong. Anyways we were cleaning off a dozen to give to someone for Christmas and the brown egg's color lightened up a lot when it was rinsed in hot water and wiped off [​IMG] Is that normal? I wasn't expecting that at all...lol and DH was like OK the hens are coloring their eggs with non color fast colorant...lol
    Also I have noted my EE's eggs when I made some deviled eggs the whites had a blue hue not very noticeable but defiantly there.

2. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    I noticed this with a Rir egg the other day...

3. journey's end

journey's end Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2009
    Prince Edward Island
    The dark color from marans eggs is set after the egg is produced so only the outer layer of shell is dark, the rest is normal colored. Washing would take off some of that color.

4. ilovesilkies

ilovesilkies Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2009
    Claremore, Oklahoma
    I have french black copper marans and this is my first time with them and i was washing some the other day and noticed some of the brown came off too, strange huh...i wander what causes that??

5. hildymarie

hildymarie Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2009
    da UP of Michigan
    I've seen them get lighter with washing but I thought it ws just that once the bloom is off it shows up lighter like dry hair looks lighter than wet hair.

6. NoVA Chicks

NoVA Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Falls Church, VA
    I'm not an expert at all, but I do know that only blue eggs have color all the way through. The various shades of brown are just the outer layer of the egg so it makes sense that you could wash or rub it off to show more of the white underneath.

7. ShaggysGirl

ShaggysGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2009
    Temperance, MI
    Thanks guys. Good to know my girls are normal...lol So blue is the only color that goes all the way through...humm that is very interesting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by