Egg color

mags2009

Songster
13 Years
Aug 8, 2009
Wisconsin
Hi!
I have 8 chickens- 6 are laying that I know of. I have two Olive Eggers,
But the only olive egg I had seen was the fourth one in on the pic, the real olive green one. Then I got the third one in, the large gray one on Monday. I loved the olive gray color, and figured it must have been my other olive Egger finally deciding to lay. I haven’t seen that color since, and wondered if they can go days without laying when they first begin to lay, or did I just get a fluke color from one that was already laying?

Attachments

• F3CC32E1-BB3A-497B-B744-CAC68C349EDA.jpeg
    F3CC32E1-BB3A-497B-B744-CAC68C349EDA.jpeg
    320.8 KB · Views: 17
looking at your picture, if you're getting six eggs out of 8 chickens a day...and they just started laying...you're doing fine. the color of the egg shell is convenient for tracking production of eggs from specific chickens...but this early on...you're chickens are doing great. the color coding is more valuable in a few years to know which ones to get rid of...UNLESS...they are pets. i have kept many roosters as pets. ;)

BTW...i've had chickens my whole life. recently anywhere from 25-100. i never thought to buy anything but all of the same kind...even though my bachelors degree was in zoology and i took a year or ornithology...however, if i had 30 laying hens and bought 2 of 15 different breeds, i could easily identify laying patterns based on the egg shell color...DUH. it honestly never occurred to me because we always bought several dozen of the same kind. Now my flock is getting mixed up. Currently, i only have dominant coppers, white bresse, plymouth barred rock, easter, blue wyandotte, and a random that my daughter bought at the local farm store. my DC's lay the most consistent big eggs. i will say...turkey eggs are the best. i just converted my meat chicken cook into a turkey coop for eggs. where i live, turkey eggs are about $25-30 per half dozen to buy...but...the best scrambled eggs ever!..and the turkeys are so docile and friendly. i'm shifting more toward turkey layers and away from chickens.

looking at your picture, if you're getting six eggs out of 8 chickens a day...and they just started laying...you're doing fine. the color of the egg shell is convenient for tracking production of eggs from specific chickens...but this early on...you're chickens are doing great. the color coding is more valuable in a few years to know which ones to get rid of...UNLESS...they are pets. i have kept many roosters as pets. ;)
I"m sorry , I'm not getting six eggs a day. These are the six eggs identified as of now. my question is that greyish olive one, was laid on Monday, and nothing since. I'm just hoping that is a true color is all. THanks

Back
Top Bottom