Egg color

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by kelidei, Oct 21, 2009.

1. kelidei

kelidei ~*Dances with chickens*~

Mar 18, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    I know nothing about genetics so I am asking what may be a silly question... I hatched out some eggs from my girls and two of them have my Blue Andalusian as their daddy--- Their moms are either a white Wyandotte or a white Rock. Where does the gene for egg color come from? Would it be possible for them to lay white eggs? Thank you![​IMG]

2. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    good question. I don't know the answer. I do know that blue andalusians lay white eggs, so maybe they got that gene from the daddy

3. evonne

evonne Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Las Vegas
    if i understand what i've been reading correctly the roo affects the color of his daughters eggs.. i'm still not sure whether it is a mix of both parents, or just what the dad put in....

i've gotwhite eggs in the bator from my EE roo... next hatch will be tan/peach eggs and white eggs both with the same roo... don't know how i'll handle the 6 months wait to see what color eggs the new hens lay.. lol...

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Most egg colour genes are autosomal, meaning that both parents have equal affect on the genes related to egg colour carried by their offspring. I believe there is one sex-linked white egg genes, though. There are a dozen or more different genes that affect egg colour.

5. kelidei

kelidei ~*Dances with chickens*~

Mar 18, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    Thanks all for your responses--- I guess it will be a surprise. I've got two pullets by this roo--- so this could be very interesting! Now I just have to manage my impatience until February or Marchish!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by