Egg colors for Cream Legbar and Rhode Island Red mix?

DavidReaves

Songster
Premium Feather Member
Apr 2, 2022
Granbury, Texas (near Fort Worth)
I hatched chicks from both blue and brown eggs from a farm down the road. The free-ranging flock has both a Cream Legbar rooster and a Rhode Island Red rooster. I hatched four blue eggs, two of which I'm certain were pure Cream Legbar. The other two appear to be mixes, so their sex is undetermined as yet. All the others were mostly light brown eggs, with a couple of dark brown eggs. Some of those are also mixes. Most of the chicks have not developed sufficiently to tell if they are pure RIR or mixed. I have been able to tell on one cockerel that is developing quickly-- he's definitely a Cream Legbar and Rhode Island Red mix. He's going to be pretty, but I don't know why I would need a mixed rooster. I included a photo at 5 weeks just because.

So, my real question, will the mixed pullets that are RIR/CL crosses be Easter Eggers with a light green egg, or are they considered Olive Eggers? Other genetic questions are: Is the Legbar crest dominant or recessive? My two pureblood CL are already showing small crests at 4 weeks. Will the mixes also have crests? Finally, is there anything in pure Cream Legbar or Rhode Island Red genetics that would produce partially white chicks? I have two young cockerels with different white and orange/brown feathers. Is that possible, or did I get eggs from an unknown chicken in the flock? The egg farmer only told me that he had two types already mentioned in the free-ranging flock. The photo of the chicks with white is at 2 weeks and again at 3 weeks.

Attachments

• BigRed1.jpg
    BigRed1.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 117
  • WhiteMixed-c.jpg
    WhiteMixed-c.jpg
    525.1 KB · Views: 55
  • Chick4-LightChipmunk.jpg
    Chick4-LightChipmunk.jpg
    745.3 KB · Views: 52
  • Chick2-LightPattern.jpg
    Chick2-LightPattern.jpg
    771.2 KB · Views: 54
So, my real question, will the mixed pullets that are RIR/CL crosses be Easter Eggers with a light green egg, or are they considered Olive Eggers?
Green eggs, probably not dark enough to be considered "olive."

Other genetic questions are: Is the Legbar crest dominant or recessive?
The crest gene is dominant.

My two pureblood CL are already showing small crests at 4 weeks. Will the mixes also have crests?
They should, but the crests on the mixes might be smaller than the crests on the purebreds.

Finally, is there anything in pure Cream Legbar or Rhode Island Red genetics that would produce partially white chicks? I have two young cockerels with different white and orange/brown feathers. Is that possible, or did I get eggs from an unknown chicken in the flock? The egg farmer only told me that he had two types already mentioned in the free-ranging flock. The photo of the chicks with white is at 2 weeks and again at 3 weeks.
Other than white barring, there should not be anything in Cream Legbars or Rhode Island Reds to cause white.

But red sexlinks usually have Dominant White (turns black to white). I strongly suspect the farmer has some sexlink hens, and either he thinks they are Rhode Island Reds, or he does know what they are and simply did not mention that he has them.

Last edited:
NatJ, thanks for the detailed answer! The dominate white would explain the colors. It's a shame that both the white mixes are roos, since they would be an interesting pattern to keep. One of the white cockerels looks almost like the CL/RIR cross, except no dark. Would light barring still be visible on his feathers as different than the area that is Dominant White?

If there are traces of crests on any of the pullets, that will tell me that they are Cream Legbar crosses and will produce green eggs. I really want at least a couple of green egg hens, just so I can serve "Green eggs and Ham". (I'm old enough--barely-- to know that green eggs and ham were really Army meals, either in a C-Ration can or mermites from the field kitchen)

I'll have pictures of some of the others later, to ask about their status. I'll wait a little longer to give them a little more growth. Thanks again.

One of the white cockerels looks almost like the CL/RIR cross, except no dark. Would light barring still be visible on his feathers as different than the area that is Dominant White?
I think the white barring would be visible in at least some places, but I'm not entirely positive. To some extent, it will depend on where the Dominant White actually is.

I've also seen photos of some chickens that have white barring on white feathers, and it is a little bit visible if you look just white (different shades or textures or something.)

If there are traces of crests on any of the pullets, that will tell me that they are Cream Legbar crosses and will produce green eggs. I really want at least a couple of green egg hens, just so I can serve "Green eggs and Ham". (I'm old enough--barely-- to know that green eggs and ham were really Army meals, either in a C-Ration can or mermites from the field kitchen)
:thumbsup

I hatched chicks from both blue and brown eggs from a farm down the road. The free-ranging flock has both a Cream Legbar rooster and a Rhode Island Red rooster. I hatched four blue eggs, two of which I'm certain were pure Cream Legbar. The other two appear to be mixes, so their sex is undetermined as yet. All the others were mostly light brown eggs, with a couple of dark brown eggs. Some of those are also mixes. Most of the chicks have not developed sufficiently to tell if they are pure RIR or mixed. I have been able to tell on one cockerel that is developing quickly-- he's definitely a Cream Legbar and Rhode Island Red mix. He's going to be pretty, but I don't know why I would need a mixed rooster. I included a photo at 5 weeks just because.

So, my real question, will the mixed pullets that are RIR/CL crosses be Easter Eggers with a light green egg, or are they considered Olive Eggers? Other genetic questions are: Is the Legbar crest dominant or recessive? My two pureblood CL are already showing small crests at 4 weeks. Will the mixes also have crests? Finally, is there anything in pure Cream Legbar or Rhode Island Red genetics that would produce partially white chicks? I have two young cockerels with different white and orange/brown feathers. Is that possible, or did I get eggs from an unknown chicken in the flock? The egg farmer only told me that he had two types already mentioned in the free-ranging flock. The photo of the chicks with white is at 2 weeks and again at 3 weeks.
I can’t answer your questions but your chicks are pretty

The chicks in pic #2 and the one in the last pic are pretty. But I don’t have any knowledge that’s worth a toot about genetics. I just wanted to say they are pretty

I differ on the white, the color of eggs & the crests.

Some legbars, (the accepted cream, crele & white varieties & the currently not accepted blue, pumpkin, opal & isabella), carry a white gene and will produce white legbars. Originally, they were considered sports. Now, they are an acepted variety & are bred for. I have gotten some from different breeders in NC.

They can have one or two genes for the crest. If the legbar only has one crest gene, & doesn't pass that one to offspring, no crest & won't produce chicks with crests (so crest gene dominate?).

Same for eggs. There are known CLBs w/ double genes (homozygous) for blue eggs (this can now be tested for & there are breeders that are working towards CLB flocks of double blue egg genes). The double blue genes means one blue gene will pass to chicks - every time. If only one blue gene, a white gene can be passed. The resulting CLB/RIR X might then lay lighter tan eggs instead of shades of green.

I differ on the white, the color of eggs & the crests.

Some legbars, (the accepted cream, crele & white varieties & the currently not accepted blue, pumpkin, opal & isabella), carry a white gene and will produce white legbars. Originally, they were considered sports. Now, they are an acepted variety & are bred for. I have gotten some from different breeders in NC.
White legbars, yes. That would be the recessive white gene.

But not white-and-brown chicks, like what OP showed. Those chicks must have the Dominant White gene, and it is impossible for a Cream Legbar to carry Dominant White without showing it.

They can have one or two genes for the crest. If the legbar only has one crest gene, & doesn't pass that one to offspring, no crest & won't produce chicks with crests (so crest gene dominate?).
Legbars are supposed to be a pure breed, that breeds true for all the important traits (such as blue eggs and crests on the heads.) That is how they are marketed by hatcheries and by at least some breeds.

So I gave answers based on the assumption that the Legbar rooster in question has two genes for crest and two genes for blue eggs.

Same for eggs. There are known CLBs w/ double genes (homozygous) for blue eggs (this can now be tested for & there are breeders that are working towards CLB flocks of double blue egg genes). The double blue genes means one blue gene will pass to chicks - every time. If only one blue gene, a white gene can be passed. The resulting CLB/RIR X might then lay lighter tan eggs instead of shades of green.
Huh? I thought Cream Legbars with two blue egg genes were the most common kind. All the breed-description pages and hatchery-description pages and even the Cream Legbar club page https://creamlegbarclub.com/ say that Cream Legbars lay blue eggs. They do not say "sometimes" or "supposed to" or "in development." It sounds like you are saying most of those are wrong, and the ones that breed true for blue eggs are still the exception?

Back
Top Bottom