Egg colors for Cream Legbar and Rhode Island Red mix?

Edited: Its my understanding that a pure crested cream legbar ROOSTER passes 2 copies of the blue egg gene down to ALL its chicks
It doesn't matter if it is a tooster or hen, if the bird has two copies of the blue egg gene, it will give one copy to each chick. Pure Crested Cream Legbars are supposed to have two copies of the blue egg gene (not saying whether every one actually does, just that they are "supposed to.")

A chick can only get 1 blue egg gene from each parent. So the only way a chick can have 2 blue egg genes is to have 2 parents with blue egg genes.

No, because it only takes 1 copy of the blue egg gene for the eggs to be blue. A cream legbar will still lay blue eggs whether they have 1 copy or 2 copies for the blue egg gene

A hen with only 1 blue egg gene crossed with a brown egg layer rooster will only have a 50% chance of resulting offspring laying green eggs. The other 50% would be for brown eggs.
You are perfectly correct that a hen can lay blue eggs if she only has 1 blue egg gene, and about what chicks will result from a hen that has only one copy of the blue egg gene (assuming the father is not giving a blue egg gene to those same chicks.)

I said that Cream Legbars are SUPPOSED to have 2 blue egg genes, and that my original answer was based on that. That is the way the breed is meant to be, the way the breed websites and the breeders themselves say it should be, the way the hatcheries advertise it. As best I can tell, the majority of Cream Legbars do have two blue egg genes.

Based on the chick photos and the information provided by the original poster, there must be some other kinds of chickens in the flock anyway, so what genes are in Cream Legbars is almost a moot point: there is no way to be sure that any specific chick has any specific breed of parent. Legbar-mix Easter Eggers are common enough that some of those could be in the flock passing on crests and barring to chicks but not having the right number of blue egg genes.

Per
It doesn't matter if it is a tooster or hen, if the bird has two copies of the blue egg gene, it will give one copy to each chick. Pure Crested Cream Legbars are supposed to have two copies of the blue egg gene (not saying whether every one actually does, just that they are "supposed to.")

A chick can only get 1 blue egg gene from each parent. So the only way a chick can have 2 blue egg genes is to have 2 parents with blue egg genes.

You are perfectly correct that a hen can lay blue eggs if she only has 1 blue egg gene, and about what chicks will result from a hen that has only one copy of the blue egg gene (assuming the father is not giving a blue egg gene to those same chicks.)

I said that Cream Legbars are SUPPOSED to have 2 blue egg genes, and that my original answer was based on that. That is the way the breed is meant to be, the way the breed websites and the breeders themselves say it should be, the way the hatcheries advertise it. As best I can tell, the majority of Cream Legbars do have two blue egg genes.

Based on the chick photos and the information provided by the original poster, there must be some other kinds of chickens in the flock anyway, so what genes are in Cream Legbars is almost a moot point: there is no way to be sure that any specific chick has any specific breed of parent. Legbar-mix Easter Eggers are common enough that some of those could be in the flock passing on crests and barring to chicks but not having the right number of blue egg genes.
Because none of my white egg layers carry the blue egg gene crossing them with my legbar will only give me chicks that can lay a pale blue egg

Green eggs, probably not dark enough to be considered "olive."

The crest gene is dominant.

They should, but the crests on the mixes might be smaller than the crests on the purebreds.

Other than white barring, there should not be anything in Cream Legbars or Rhode Island Reds to cause white.

But red sexlinks usually have Dominant White (turns black to white). I strongly suspect the farmer has some sexlink hens, and either he thinks they are Rhode Island Reds, or he does know what they are and simply did not mention that he has them.
Hi what color eggs would a pullet from a Crested Cream Legbar rooster over a Rhode Island Red hen lay?

Back
Top Bottom