Egg colors

careybeau

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 16, 2008
I've had my chickens for a year and a half now. I started out with one of those "deals" from Murray McMurray. 12 out of 25 made it and then my chicken population blew up to over 40!!! We had a dog come through and kill all but 16, which are all children of our original bunch. What's bizarre is that the original ones laid only brown eggs. Now we have green, pink, brown, speckled. It's like a basket of Easter eggs! What's the deal? My kids think green eggs are a little weird but they're beautiful--some of them are a teal color! Any info would be appreciated!
Carey

one of your Roo's is an "Easter Egger"! Also called Americaunas-- they are an Aracauna cross-breed that lays colored eggs! One of your boys passed the gene to your new babies! Congrats! I wasn't sure it would always "pass down" like that!

We have a boy and a girl-- who are "put together" in the "love shack" this week... we want more of them.. but now I will also see if he can spread that gene to my Reds and Buff Rocks eggs!

Thanks-- you just helped me with MY question as to whether or not it would work!

Thanks! I'll go look up that breed. He may be the rooster we ineptly named "Gandhi." he was mean, so we ate him. Now I really want a silky! My sister in England has one and I am so jealous!
Thanks!
Carey

i love getting all different colored eggs... my FAVORITE is the olive green eggs.. so pretty....

yeah sounds like on of you roosters was an EE (easter egg= ameracauna mix) about 90%of the EE rooster i have personally owned have been mean/aggressive..

18399_eggs2-09.jpg

Thanks, Yes, we took care of the dog problem, only now we have a ton of puppies to find homes for. I didn't realize really randy dogs can jump over a 4 foot fence to get to the girl! I thought she was "too young!" Guess not.
The eggs look just like yours!
When I looked up Ameracauna breeds they all looked like different chickens. The one we ate was black and very pretty with green feathers, but a real creep! We had a beautiful Dominique rooster that the dog killed. That really upset me. He was easy going and everyone would comment on him. Now we have this bunch of mutts--but they're putting out 10 eggs a day! So maybe I should start selling them.
Thanks!
Carey

Back
Top Bottom