Egg Colors??????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lockedhearts, Sep 24, 2007.

1. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    I have 2 cochins (one white, one grey) 2 Aracaunas
    1 RIR and 1 Buff Orpington.
    The cochins eggs are easy to pick out, they are smaller and I am sure the white hen lays a slightly lighter egg than the Grey Hen.
    The Aracaunas are both laying Bluish Green eggs.
    The RIR is laying pretty brown eggs.
    So will the Buff lay white eggs? At this point I am assuming sheis not laying, but maybe I am wrong?
    I am getting several double yolks from my Aracaunas.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

The Buff will lay anywhere from a porcelain color to a beigey tan color. I have two of that breed and they lay different color eggs. Someone described the lighter one as "porcelain bisque". It's almost white. It's weird that I have a RIR who also lays that exact same color and always has. Here are my two Buff Orps' eggs:
    [​IMG]

Both are lighter now since they are at molting age, but you get the idea.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2007
  3. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Well, that changes things then, maybe my naming my Buff "Babs: did not curse her to being Slower than the rest of the girls.....LOL
    While I do not have any porcelain eggs (except the small ones laid by my Cochin) I now feel confident that all my girls are laying.
    Babs is probably my favorite and she is very sweet and sits in my lap.
    Matilda (RIR) is also very sweet.
    The Aracaunas (Liz & Julie) have gotten better since they started laying.
    The Cochins , Marshmallow (White) & Meringue (Grey) are more standoffish and Britches (Cochins Roo) hates being loved on, which of course is why I love on him even more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by