egg colors...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by seagullplayer, Feb 11, 2008.

1. seagullplayer

seagullplayer Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    My Red Game Fowl are suppose to lay white eggs, I am getting a mix from them, some are laying a white egg, then others are a shade of light brown to brown.
    At least one of them is laying a very brown egg.

The birds just started laying a few weeks ago, they are laying very well for the cold weather we have had. The eggs are still on the small side, but I expect they will get to normal size in a month or so?

Do you think the egg color will change with the size? There are only six hens, and they all seem to have white cheeks, I though that was supose to mean white eggs?

One Rooster in the coop he is RGF.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

The white cheeks and face patches are a guideline and not always true with the true color they lay. The color as the eggs get larger and hens get older often lightens up. A month or two and you should get "full" sized eggs, but often the largest sized ones come from birds in their second year of laying.

Not sure the standard color, but if it is white, maybe someone had a mix somewhere in the past with a brown layer?

3. pax12

pax12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2008
    PA
    no it wont change

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by